SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Engine survey

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kd3pc 
#1 ·
I have put an offer in on a 1981 Hunter 33C; after 1 and 1/2 rounds of the offer-counteroffer dance my offer has been accepted. I have the surveyor scheduled. . . I'm wondering about an engine surveyor - can anyone out there recommend a good one in the Cape Cod area? The guy I have scheduled to do the general survey has someone, I don't have a name, who charges $92.50/hr - is this reasonable? I'm looking at almost $1000 for the whole shebang, I know how important it is, but that's a lot of money (if the survey turns out ng, it's gone). . .

#4 ·
diesel engine survey should only be an hour or so, unless he has NO experience with the engine in view. Else may be two hours or so.

Small, non turbo diesel should be almost a no brainer...runs, runs up to spec and at speed, no unusual smoke/vapor/sheen, no leaks, good water flow. Check belts, hoses, strainers. Check the logs for last oil/filter/fuel filter/impeller change. Then mounts, flanges and pans.

Hourly rate is a bit higher than here on the bay, but certainly not out there.

Best of luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.