Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010

akin_alan is on a distinguished road
Difficult singlehanding a good watch in a 30'

Anybody have a small boat that its easy to keep watch on. I have a 30' Grampion. I have to stand up in the cockpit to look over the bow. Anyone able to keep a good watch from a resting position. It would be great to be able to stay napping, wake up 15 minutes, roll over from right to left and see nothin on the horizon then go back to sleep. I think that it would be easy to rig a high sleeping bed or a hammock on a big boat with a pilot house. For this small boat though; I am scratching my head.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010

SailorNate is on a distinguished road
on my KP44 I sit in the hatch with a float cushin under me and pull the hatch cover back. I lean forward on that and nap, My timer wakes me at 20 min intervals, I can see everything, the dodger keeps me dry, the radio is audible and at hand, if the navionics are on I can see them and the autopilot is in easy reach. If I need to trim a sheet or reach the helm I have to move. Otherwise I just lean forward (in a sitting position) and snooze again.
Old 03-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can make a custom dropboard that converts the companionway into a seat. That would probably give you a nice combination of partial shelter, especially if you have a dodger, and good visibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2010

akin_alan is on a distinguished road
Thanks sailingnate and sailing dog. I guess most people tend to stay in a seated position. My dad went through rotator cuff surgury and had to get used to sleeping in an armchair for a while. Sailindog I got a full awning so keepin out of the rain isn't as much of a problem. Also much of the wind is knocked off. With my back beside the main hatch it is plenty comfortable for sitting. I am thinking that summer time will resolve much of these issues. I won't be digging all of the cover off of the top of me and then trying to wrap it all up again so the gusts of cold air aren't leaking in.