Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
You want something with a simple rig, and no external ballast. I had a Siren with a 3 stay rig, no spreaders, and a weighted centerboard. I could rig and launch it in 15-20 minutes. I had an O'day 192 next which has a 4 stay rig with spreaders, and a stub keel with centerboard, 18" draft and it's a lot harder to rig and launch, I kept that at a slip. Daysailer is perfect, nice deep cockpit, not the most stable. Rhodes 19 is a lot more stable, little more complicated. Both are still made today.

The Harpoon is just like those two boats. I also really like the Hunter 170 and 216. the 216 in particular can be a sedate boat or a fast racer, very modern and slippery hull design. Both of those are still made too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2010

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
Wow, you all have been amazingly helpful, I've got a lot of boats to look into now.

JRP, I'm definitely going to pay a visit to Arey's Pond Boatyard, as their stuff looks gorgeous on the web site, and it's right in my 'hood.

Hriehl1, thanks for the ideas. I searched for the Rhodes 19, and I have to say that is a really sweet looking craft, I could picture that working out great. Will have to do more research on that one...

I've since identified a Scot for real cheap and in my original pricerange, but has "some delamination" in the glass (don't know were or how much) which the owner says he drilled and determined that was without any moisture at all in the core. He says it's only a cosmetic problem and doesn't need to be fixed for structural reasons. I don't know nothin' about fiberglass or fixing boats, but that doesn't sound right to me...delamination means water will get in, and that eventually means rot, right? I assume that kind of thing MUST be fixed. He also painted the darn boat pink, which I guess I'd have to get comfortable with... I found a second Scot which is a refurbished model, so it supposedly comes "like new" and with a warranty, and in more manly colors...thus I'll be sailing rather than replacing balsa core and reglassing, but I can tell from your posts and following up your suggestions that spending $10-12K is probably excessive for my needs. And I agree with all these posts, I need to reconcile plans for sailing protected bays on warm days in an open boat vs likelihood of venturing out, getting soaked, and making the family unhappy. I will certainly check out the cat boats and the other models suggested here. Thanks for the great input... will continue to check the forum and keep you informed...
Old 03-05-2010
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
A bit more on Scots

You've gotten plenty of sound choices laid in front of you, but since you came back to Scots in your last post, let me offer some thoughts.

The delamination on the pink (shudder) boat may not pose structural problems, but it's a big warning sign. If the balsa core has gotten wet, you'll have to deal with it sooner or later. Although a reasonably handy person can do the work, that's no way to start a relationship with a boat. A buddy of mine did extensive work on his very early Scot, well-documented here ...

Edgewaters: Flying Scot Balsa Repair

A thorough inspection will tell you more, but be cautious.

Regarding the refurbished and warranted boat, you'll certainly have a sound, "clean," but expensive way to get started. That choice depends on whether you want to spend the money. I encourage you to keep looking ... $5000 or less Scots are out there, but it may take a little time or travel to find one.

Good luck!

Kurt
Old 03-05-2010
Poltergeist

Afterthought

By the way, the same guy who did the coring and glass work, also successfully transformed the hull color from a '70's era banana yellow to white, and it looks great ... so pink is not necessarily permanent. :-)

Kurt
Old 03-05-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I would not sail a daysailer or unballasted boat on Nantucket Sound or Buzzards bay. If you want to take a trailerable boat out on open water, i'd look at an S2, the 6.9' would do the job. Having a daggerboard, it is very easily tailer launched.

See S2 6.9 Home Page

As always, ithe 6.9 meets the criteria of being a quality boat that sails quite well.
Old 03-05-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
By the way, the same guy who did the coring and glass work, also successfully transformed the hull color from a '70's era banana yellow to white, and it looks great ... so pink is not necessarily permanent. :-)

Kurt
Heeeyyy.... What's wrong with 70's Banana Yellow, Mr. Poltergeist?

It's making a comeback! And it's easy to see the bottom from a rescue helicopter. People with green or blue boats.... you're toast. I'm gonna paint our keel orange and sail with flares tucked behind my ears....
Old 03-05-2010
Poltergeist

Now THAT'S a handsome yellow boat, Bob!

Kurt
Old 03-06-2010

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
Whaler

If you're still looking, I highly recommend the Whaler 5.2 (17'). I bought one new in 1980 for $5K on the trailer and sailed it for five years. Sold it for $5K in 1985. The last one I saw for sale (Jacksonville, FL) was offered at $5K.

This web site will give you a ton of info on the boat: http://www.ruach.net/Harpoon.shtml

If you find one you like, have it weighed to be sure the internal foam is still good to go.

My second choice would be a Catalina 22 if you would like some cabin sapce and your vehicle can trailer it. There are thousnads of them out there, they have active fleets around the US. The Capri 22 is racier (more cockpit, less cabin) but still a great weekender. I don't think the Capri 22 comes with a drop/swing keel, only a wing keel which would be more difficult to trailer and launch.
Old 03-06-2010

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
Didn't read the whole thread.

Here are some other excellent boats

Starwind 19 or 22
West Wright Potter 19
Santana 21
Venture 21

All easy to rig and launch.
Old 03-06-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
I'd avoid introducing your family to sailing on a performance oriented dinghy. Thistles and Flying Scotts are along these lines as they were built to race as well. Lightnings while raced were are were built to be more of a family boat. The Rhodes fits the family well. O'Day had a line of boats that fit your situation The 18ft O-day Daysailer is a popular cuddy daysailer. The O'day Mariner has a small cabin at 19 ft. Moving up Catalina 22s are the ubiquitous trailer sailer cruiser. You may want to find out what boat has a strong class organization in your area. These groups want to help you and will share thier extensive knowledge of the boat and know what's for sale and the condition. Class organizations also organize events that may appeal to your family.