Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
Ok, don't know if this thread is still active, but want to than everyone for their excellent advice. Based largely what I read here, it was clear to me that I needed a more focused understanding of what I was going to actually use the boat for, which I've determined is protected bay sailing only, and I narrowed my sights to small, light, simple boats without a cabin, easily trailerable, good for newby wife and child (ie not too tender), and somehow still fun for me. The flying scot, when I saw it, actually looked like more boat than I needed at the moment (though I'm sure great fun..). I've found a CL-14 and think it looks ideal. Its a Canadian made boat, and I've not seen them before, so if anyone has any experience with them, I'd love to hear what they think, as I'm probably going to give up my $$ for it in the next few days. Any thoughts on the CL make would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to everyone for their thoughtful replies...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2010

calden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmedic View Post
Ok, don't know if this thread is still active, but want to than everyone for their excellent advice....
I'm coming in late to this thread, but have some more advice if ya want it.

I started off sailing about 6 years ago after having fun with a Sunfish. After looking around I bought an O'Day Daysailer. Perfect boat in many ways, but for more than just my wife and I it became too small. Went up to a San Juan 21 and loved it but found that I wanted to actually spend the night on it once we got a slip (and still occasionally trailering it around.) And it was a tad bit small for my whole family of self and wife and two older teen kids. So now I'm looking at a 25-27 foot boat. And so it goes.

So my sage advice is:

1. A new sailor will feel like any boat is big enough, but a small boat rapidly and mysteriously becomes small after a year or so, especially with a growing child.

2. Sailing and managing a larger boat is not harder than a small 14' boat. In some ways it is easier because the motions are a little slower and more deliberate.

3. The stability of a larger boat with a weighted CB or keel is more stable and comfortable for a family to enjoy sailing.

4. One can buy a larger boat that is trailerable. Getting it in and out of the water may be a little more problematic than a tiny boat, but it's just a matter of planning and maybe using a mast winch system. It all can still be done singlehanded if you want.

5. After a year with a small boat you will be looking for a larger boat. Trust me on this.

6. The Flying Scot looks great. It is very stable and comfortable and yet can be raced or just wild-assed sailed solo for tons of fun.

7. Do not discount the value of really comfortable cabin space. After a day sail it is heaven to hang out with a bottle of wine, a loaf of bread, and thou, or at least some toys and books and a sippy cup.

Welcome to the club.

Carlos
Old 04-06-2010

Drake76 is on a distinguished road
Our yacht club uses CL 14 to train new sailors in their sailing school. They are fun little boats to learn in, but honestly, the shine is going to wear off this in a few weeks for you. This is slightly more impressive than a sailboard.

I agree with the last poster, don't discount a cabin.

A CL 14 is a dinghy. They flip easy, you can't use them in all kinds of weather, etc. One dinghy is the same as another.

Have you looked a MacGregor 22 or Sirius 22? They have swing keels, easily trailerable, etc. Both are now quite old and easily affordable. The Sirius 21/22 has a "pop top" cabin so you can actually stand up inside the thing.

Your call of course, but if you are going to be on the ocean with this, the CL does not natively have room for an engine (outboard). If the weather turns and you get caught, you are going to be swimming.
Old 04-06-2010

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
Cool

Thanks Calden and Drake, I appreciate your reply. Your thoughts jibe with other's comments earlier in the post (not enough boat for weather or extended travel, etc), and I agree, that is why I've specifically reconsidered what I'm using the boat for, which I've decided is strictly nice-day sailing in the quiet bays around my house, not out in the sound. I need something I can sail on a whim in the morning essentially from across the street from my house before I go to work in the afternoon without making a big project out of it. Sunfish is too small and wet, flying scott seems like more machine than I need. I'm actually not new to sailing and have experience with a much larger boat (42'), it's just not here where I live at the moment, and I've had no experience sailing in smaller boats. So my latest query is specifically about my interest in dinghy sailing in general the CL14 in particular. As this is a more focused question than my original at the beginning of this thread, I actually started a new thread last night on the question of the CL brand specifically (no replies yet). I think drake 76 may have answered my question well, saying that "one dinghy is the same as an other", which would be fine. You all may ultimately be right that I'll soon regret investing in a sailing dinghy, but it still feels like the right kind of boat for my needs for time being. I'll trade up in a year or two if I'm wrong.
Old 04-06-2010

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
The thing with any of the many boats being discusswed here... you're not spending money, you're just "parking" it in a boat for the time being.

Say you buy a 30-year-old O'Day Daysailer (or whatever) for $2K.... you can sell it in a year or two for the same $2K.
Old 04-06-2010

calden is on a distinguished road
Jakmedic:

That makes more sense - if it's mostly just you going out and toodling around, then yeah. In fact, what I would like to do at this point is have a 25-27' boat in my slip for regular sails and a tiny little 16' dinghy to pop over to one of the many lakes in my area. But only solo.

Carlos
Old 04-09-2010

lokiii is on a distinguished road
I just took up sailing again, my kids are teens. Bought a Hunter 170 4 weeks ago (17' dinghy, about 7' beam, 150sf sail area, swinging centerboard, 2hp outboard...). I've sailed it 6 times, mostly by myself, once with 4 people. Always trailered to a ramp, takes me about 30-40 minutes set-up, a bit less to pack back up (by myself). So far, just sailed two lakes and a protected ocean bay. Can't give you a comparison with any other boats, but I'm having fun with it.

Tim
Old 04-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you live someplace where it drops below freezing in the wintertime, I would highly recommend you read all the warnings about how to store your boat. The Hunter 170 uses a thermoplastic hull that can crack under large temperature swings or in extremely cold environs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokiii View Post
I just took up sailing again, my kids are teens. Bought a Hunter 170 4 weeks ago (17' dinghy, about 7' beam, 150sf sail area, swinging centerboard, 2hp outboard...). I've sailed it 6 times, mostly by myself, once with 4 people. Always trailered to a ramp, takes me about 30-40 minutes set-up, a bit less to pack back up (by myself). So far, just sailed two lakes and a protected ocean bay. Can't give you a comparison with any other boats, but I'm having fun with it.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.