Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfenix View Post
Hello all. I am wanting to take a challenge. The challenge is to live on a boat for a whole year alone. That means that I can't leave the boat and others can't come onto to. What would be a good for something like this? keep in mind I don't want to get to much luxury involved. This challenge is about sacrifice and testing human will power, but at the same time I don't want it to be some rinky dink boat. Any suggestions for a practical boat to help complete this impractical challenge
You already have your answer. A barge.

Here is one: File No

Only $40G but if you are spending a year on it take some wire brushes and some paint and you will be able to sell if for much more when you are done.

Lottas luck getting someone else to pay. I mean that does work. Many of the rich do just that, get everyone else to pay for everything they do.

I'm pretty sure I could raise a few grand if I promised to stay away for a year.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2010

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
don't tell me, let me guess........

Some Woman REALLY pissed you off didn't she?
Old 03-04-2010

projectfenix is on a distinguished road
to be clear

Wow.. Lots of replies.. and several of you have been quite nice and informative, and a few have just been bitter, but what else can you expect with internet forums..

Yes I am young and dumb, and yes I am poor, do I want money? Of course, but that's not what this is about.. This whole idea came from when some friends and I were discussing yet another stupid "How much money would it take to do this" kind of thing.. I have friends that say they would have to get at least a million dollars to live in solitude on a boat for a year.. and I said I would do it as long as it didn't cost me anything.. not for the money, but for doing something a little crazy that would let me prove to myself I could meet the challenge head on and win..

and sure, there are a lot of people sailing on their own and it's not some novel idea any more.. but honestly have you ever heard of anyone who did step off their boat for an entire year? I mean that's a long time in solitude.. that means no sex for a year.. it's not about money.. Money is required, money that I don't have, but I'm not doing this so I can make money, I'm simply trying something wild.. I'm sorry that will offend people who get up everyday hating their life, people whose only outlet is to come on here and bash the ideas and dreams of others.. I'm 27, pretty much broke, I have no idea what I want to even do with my life, or what I'm supposed to be, but you know what, I'm still happy.. I may not have a lot of material things or a long list of status builders but I'm smiling more and laughing harder than most anyone I know..

Wish me luck or wish me hate, we'll see if it all goes down.. Cheers!

Murdock
Old 03-04-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
A year is not that long to be alone. Sure for some it would be and you wouldn't know if you like it until you tried it. I know I can so see no challange other than the money part. On a boat you will not be able to avoid people unless you bob about in the ocean in which case weather will likely end the experiment.

If you are wondering if you can handle isolation a boat is not needed.

You can even talk to people and be alone. Move away, do not make any friends, keep all conversations to a minumum, and see how you do. How long before you start to need those connections, how long before you have to reach for the internet, TV, or other media to feel connected. You can even find a job that has little interaction. Some people love it, others not so much.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
A year is not that long to be alone. Sure for some it would be and you wouldn't know if you like it until you tried it. I know I can so see no challange other than the money part. On a boat you will not be able to avoid people unless you bob about in the ocean in which case weather will likely end the experiment.

If you are wondering if you can handle isolation a boat is not needed.

You can even talk to people and be alone. Move away, do not make any friends, keep all conversations to a minumum, and see how you do. How long before you start to need those connections, how long before you have to reach for the internet, TV, or other media to feel connected. You can even find a job that has little interaction. Some people love it, others not so much.
IF you think it isn't a challenge then do it.. You can still talk to people, you just can't have people aboard the boat with you.. the challenge is being confined to one area for a year.. true you don't need a boat.. you could confine yourself to a house as well.. a boat just makes it more interesting.. if you can't see the challenge of not leaving a small space for a year I don't know what to tell ya.. But I bet you couldn't do it.. I don't even know if I could, but I'd love to try and see..
Old 03-04-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Wow.. Lots of replies.. and several of you have been quite nice and informative, and a few have just been bitter, but what else can you expect with internet forums..

Yes I am young and dumb, and yes I am poor, do I want money? Of course, but that's not what this is about.. This whole idea came from when some friends and I were discussing yet another stupid "How much money would it take to do this" kind of thing.. I have friends that say they would have to get at least a million dollars to live in solitude on a boat for a year.. and I said I would do it as long as it didn't cost me anything.. not for the money, but for doing something a little crazy that would let me prove to myself I could meet the challenge head on and win..

and sure, there are a lot of people sailing on their own and it's not some novel idea any more.. but honestly have you ever heard of anyone who did step off their boat for an entire year? I mean that's a long time in solitude.. that means no sex for a year.. it's not about money.. Money is required, money that I don't have, but I'm not doing this so I can make money, I'm simply trying something wild.. I'm sorry that will offend people who get up everyday hating their life, people whose only outlet is to come on here and bash the ideas and dreams of others.. I'm 27, pretty much broke, I have no idea what I want to even do with my life, or what I'm supposed to be, but you know what, I'm still happy.. I may not have a lot of material things or a long list of status builders but I'm smiling more and laughing harder than most anyone I know..

Wish me luck or wish me hate, we'll see if it all goes down.. Cheers!

Murdock
Sorry, Murdock. But it's been done already. You can read about it here:

Reid Stowe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reid Stowe had a girlfriend along for a while, but she got pregnant and left. So he's only spent about two years alone on the boat, I guess. But maybe he is more motivated than you (something about overdue child support payments?)

Beyond the logistical aspects, I see no challenge whatsoever in locking yourself inside a boat and not talking to anyone for a year. That's no different than going off and living like a hermit (in a remote shack, an RV, a city apartment, whatever) just to say you did it. If you're going that route regardless, why not try an igloo or a yurt instead? There are even some reclusive monastaries that might take you in, where you can take a vow of silence.

If you want to challenge yourself, save some money, find a boat to fix up and go sailing. If you lack the resources or wherewithal, consider putting your time to productive use and join one of the services. If it's water you're attracted to, the USCG or Navy would be happy to have you I'm sure.

All the best of luck with whatever you do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-04-2010

lol.. good stuff man.. Like I said before.. these people get off the boat.. they may live on them, but they get to get off, walk around, do things, they're not on the boat for a full year without leaving it.. thanks for the advice though.. I'll just continue to see if I can make this challenge happen though.. If I can't oh well, if I can it will be interesting..
Old 03-04-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
lol.. good stuff man.. Like I said before.. these people get off the boat.. they may live on them, but they get to get off, walk around, do things, they're not on the boat for a full year without leaving it.. thanks for the advice though.. I'll just continue to see if I can make this challenge happen though.. If I can't oh well, if I can it will be interesting..
No, you misunderstood. Reid did not get off the boat. He was at sea the entire time, alone for close to two years.

Edit: Just double checked. His girlfriend left at Day 306. He's now on Day 1043 at sea. He himself has not left the boat that entire time. Since her departure, he has spent 737 days alone on a boat at sea. That's MORE THAN two years (and still counting), alone on a boat, at sea, without getting off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-04-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
fenix, dude, you really need to read about the Reid Stowe guy. A lot of the attitude you're seeing to this kind of venture springs from everyone following Void Ho!'s seriously whacked exploits over the past few years.

Here's a taste...

The best place I've seen for the discussion about this kind of thing (and all it's good and bad sides) is on Sailing Anarchy here...

Couple Cruise for 1000 Days

Now compared to SA, the skepticism you've seen here on SN is EXTREMELY mellow as you'll see. So take it all with a grain of salt once you know the whole story. You should also see a film called "Deep Water". A year on a boat with no outside contact can make people do some whacky things.

BTW - I think JRP's advice above is great. Sailing around the world alone for a year would be far more fun than hanging out at a mooring.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-04-2010
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
was wondering if I had missed something, so I went back and re-read the 1st post - then went to the facebook page- and still think I am missing something. If you are wanting to spend a year on a boat, without getting off, or anybody getting on, then go for a pontoon/barge. You don't have to go any place to meet your goal, you just need enough storage space for what you will need for a year. Of course you will need some $$, even if it is not frills. Water maker, something to power it with, food (unless the diet is fish and rice), some way of cooking the food. And unless you have one heck of a holding tank or a couple of composting heads, you will need to be outside of the discharge restricted areas.