SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Which boat would best suit this challenge? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/62550-boat-would-best-suit-challenge.html)

projectfenix 03-04-2010 01:49 AM

Which boat would best suit this challenge?

Hello all. I am wanting to take a challenge. The challenge is to live on a boat for a whole year alone. That means that I can't leave the boat and others can't come onto to. What would be a good for something like this? keep in mind I don't want to get to much luxury involved. This challenge is about sacrifice and testing human will power, but at the same time I don't want it to be some rinky dink boat. Any suggestions for a practical boat to help complete this impractical challenge?

also if you're more interested in this challenge and you would like to know more about how it plays out you can go on facebook and search "The Sailor on leave challenge" cheers and thank you!

projectfenix 03-04-2010 02:00 AM

also here is a link to that page if you're interested.. click on or copy and paste the link below.

The Sailor on leave challenge | Facebook

sailingdog 03-04-2010 02:15 AM

From the Facebook page it looks like you have NO BUDGET to do this with and are relying completely on donations and contributions to do this. Good luck with that.

slap 03-04-2010 06:41 AM

Good luck on getting donations to fund your "living on a boat alone for a year". It's not all that novel anymore - teenagers are sailing around the world alone, and Reid Stowe has been sailing alone nonstop for a period of a couple of years.

If all you want to do is live on a boat, just find the roomiest boat that someone wants to get rid of - supposedly there are are quite a few boats that the owners can no longer afford, but are unable to sell.

Jeff_H 03-04-2010 08:37 AM

I think that the hardest and most expensive part of your plan is figuring out how to rig the razor-wire and to install the cone of silence. Most sailor tend to be pretty gregarious and so even if you are a loner, it will be hard to keep vistors from striking up a conversation and coming aboard.

If you are living aboard without leaving the boat and without visitors coming aboard, this sounds like you will need a very big but very simple boat. By that I mean, you will need to be able to store a year's worth of food, and a year's worth of potable water sufficient for one person, and a year's worth of fuel to keep the batteries and systems up, let alone move the boat, and if you are living within the USA or other signatory of the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution of the Sea, you will need to either plan to be able to hold a year's worth of poop, or go way offshore periodically and dump your holding tank. Otherwise you need a shore crew at your beck and call, and that seems antithetical to your mission.

Short of living on a small barge, you are probably talking about a 40 or so foot boat to have the volume and weight capacity to be able carry enough supplies and tankage for even a major portion of a year.

Another set of issues relates to making repairs and addressing normal wear and tear. If you are not leaving the boat, and no one is coming aboard, then you better know how to repair every aspect of the boat, and also have spare parts for anything likely to fail. If you are actually using the boat, you would be amazed what can and will fail in a year of use.

It seems to me that perhaps you need to find an extremely simple boat, in really great shape, and find a remote corner of nowhere, that is out of the winter's need for heating fuel and out of the hurricane zone, to anchor out, and then do not move the boat for the entire year.

But frankly, to me, this whole stunt makes no sense in terms of encountering the richness of life's experience that sailing and living aboard have to offer.

But hey, I'm not the one who is actually considering going through a year's isolation.

Jeff

cardiacpaul 03-04-2010 08:52 AM

translation-editing of the OP.
"I'm young, dumb & full of *um and i want money"

do we really need to answer this? Troll chow must be on sale.

smackdaddy 03-04-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiacpaul (Post 576793)
"I'm young, dumb & full of *um and i want money"

You say that like it's a bad thing. Definitely beats the alternative:

"I'm old, not quite as dumb as I used to be, shriveled up, and prefer being broke."

Now what kind of American dream is that?

sailortjk1 03-04-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Any suggestions for a practical boat
Just about anything that floats will do.
From what I read, you could be tied to a pier and never leave.
Not really much of a challange, just boring.
Quote:

1) I can't get off the boat for a whole year
2) I can't have anyone on the boat with me although I can tie off to a dock and visit,
3) I post a video every day I am on the boat
4) supplies must be brought to me

sailortjk1 03-04-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortjk1 (Post 576810)
Just about anything that floats will do.

I'm sorry I take that back.
I'd go for this....

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...29123037_3.jpg

Plenty of room for one and seeing as your are seeking others to pay for your challange you may as well go big.

bubb2 03-04-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectfenix (Post 576716)
keep in mind I don't want to get to much luxury involved. This challenge is about sacrifice and testing human will power,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1el59ig9AK8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1el59ig9AK8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>