Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010

tip is on a distinguished road
Looking at this O'Day 27, thoughts?

Might be taking a look at this 1977 O'Day 27 next time I drive down to the area. Barring a good survey and all that stuff, how do you think the price is? Seems to be a bit high with an Atomic 4. Other than that it looks pretty good in pictures. When searching, I don't see a lot of these around in my area.

Anything in particular to look for? Problems? Experiences with this model?

Sunset Yacht Sales Ltd (Gig Harbor, WA)

Thanks for any input!

Bellingham, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010

mstern is on a distinguished road
I don't have any experience with this particular model, but all "modern" Odays share a particular potential weakness: bulkhead rot where the chainplates attach. Water that gets in through the deck finds its way along the chainplates to where they attach at the bulkheads. Carefully check them to make sure they aren't punky and rotten.
Old 03-05-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
She looks very well kept, but as mstern says look for the hidden stuff.

A friend here in Vancouver is selling a CS 27 in case you're interested. PM me for more info. Diesel, similar ask but in $CDN.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-05-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, before calling in a surveyor... I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether this boat is even worth going forward on. Check the chainplates as mstern said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2010

ccollins0601 is on a distinguished road
I would look to see if the windows have been re-bedded or replaced. If not look for evidence of leaking. The main chainplates on this boat attach to the bulkhead and are easy to inspect, but the chainplates for the lower shrouds are embedded in the deck only, so you should inspect for deck moisture/softness in that area. My O'Day 27 also had softness in the cockpit floor that had to be re-cored, though I don't know if that's a common problem.
Old 03-07-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
That engine looks to be in great condition; wish mine came looking so good. Is there really a significant price difference between a working, well-kept Atomic 4 and [insert Diesel here]?

(Slight tangent alert: I am curious about one thing; from what I understand, the batteries should not be kept in the engine compartment. Those batteries look to be right next to it. Did I misunderstand ideal battery placement? I ask because we have to figure out where to plant ours.)

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 03-07-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer92 View Post
That engine looks to be in great condition; wish mine came looking so good. Is there really a significant price difference between a working, well-kept Atomic 4 and [insert Diesel here]?

(Slight tangent alert: I am curious about one thing; from what I understand, the batteries should not be kept in the engine compartment. Those batteries look to be right next to it. Did I misunderstand ideal battery placement? I ask because we have to figure out where to plant ours.)
Equal condition for equal condition I usually see a few thou cheaper for the A4 and as much a 2 to 5 thou if it has an outboard.
Old 03-08-2010
SouthernComfort

Hillster is on a distinguished road
Looks really nice, inspect the heck out of it and get a good survey. Goodluck.