Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Gemini Purchase! Now what?

As some of you may recall, my buddy was looking at a Gemini and I went to see it with him. He's now reached agreement on price with the seller and has a contract. He needs a surveyor, and assuming the sale goes through after survey and sea trial, he needs a recommendation of a good yard that's fair, honest and reasonably priced, particularly considering that he's going to be dealing with all this stuff long distance.

So with that, can anyone make recommendations of a surveyor and yard in Deltaville? Keep in mind that it's a Gemini, so a surveyor and yard experienced with cats could be useful (the yard work he wants is not really cat specific, so it's less of an issue there).

Also, is there a size limit on the dink they can get in terms of the amount of room between the hulls for use with the davits?

Thanks all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danielgoldberg; 03-07-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Just curious, but which one did you take off the market? We were in the process of making plans to go look at "Too Much Fun" when we got word they had accepted an offer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
Just curious, but which one did you take off the market? We were in the process of making plans to go look at "Too Much Fun" when we got word they had accepted an offer...
Keep in mind that I didn't buy it (a friend did), but I believe the boat's name is Shallow Pockets.

Old 03-07-2010

Oh, yes, I saw an ad for that one. Okay, well, that takes two of them off the board. There are still a few on the market, but the newer 105Mcs we like ( newer than 2001 that is) tend to either be equipped with stuff we don't want, or located someplace difficult for us. But the right boat will come along sooner or later. We are convinced the only two boats on the market that will meet our needs are the Geminis and the TomCat 9.7s. Everything else draws too much water.

Old 03-08-2010
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Also, is there a size limit on the dink they can get in terms of the amount of room between the hulls for use with the davits?

Thanks all.
There is a 2004 Gemini that pops into our marina every other month. The fella who owns it uses the boat to travel from Chesapeake to Cape Canaveral, Fl on a regular basis. He's wrecked his transom carrying a dinghy. His last visit, he needed major repairs before he was able to leave.

I believe he will forgo carrying a dinghy in the davits, in the future as he's determined that the Geminis are too lightly built to carry one for Ocean sailing. PM me for details

Last edited by TropicCat; 03-08-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
dan, I am starting to get suspicious.
Why don't you invite your, ahem, "friend" to join, and ask questions himself?
At least that is what they told me at stdinfo.com
Old 03-08-2010

"Hello, I'm Dan and I'm a Gemini owner..."

"Welcome,Dan.."

Old 03-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Doesn't Chuckles have a Gemini? A friend wanted to know.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-08-2010
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Chuckles has a Gemini 105

Old 03-08-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I had a PDQ 32 (very similar )surveyed in Deltaville ~ 14 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
As some of you may recall, my buddy was looking at a Gemini and I went to see it with him. He's now reached agreement on price with the seller and has a contract. He needs a surveyor, and assuming the sale goes through after survey and sea trial, he needs a recommendation of a good yard that's fair, honest and reasonably priced, particularly considering that he's going to be dealing with all this stuff long distance.

So with that, can anyone make recommendations of a surveyor and yard in Deltaville? Keep in mind that it's a Gemini, so a surveyor and yard experienced with cats could be useful (the yard work he wants is not really cat specific, so it's less of an issue there).

Thanks all.
I was pleased with the work.

John L. Schnoering
Traditional Yacht Sales
ipyacht at crosslink dot com

The yard was Gratitude and there were no surprises, but all they did was haul and clean. They do have a lift wide enough for the Gemini.

Re. the dink, don't know. A PDQ is wider. However, I think they carry it above the hulls, no?

He really should be asking on the Gemini Yahoo group - he'll find it someday anyway.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 03-08-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: more info