Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
black, check out this thread:

The Salt's Corner Table

There are several posts by Jeff and others talking about these comparisons. I can't remember one specific to Taiwanese boats - so I'm interested in this conversation. I'll add it to the "Salt's Thread" as well. That thread is just a great place to put together the best posts so you don't have to dig forever for the info and so these guys don't have to answer questions repeatedly.

There was also a great discussion in the "Production Boats and the Limits" thread where these guys helped define the bluewater versus coastal cruiser issue a bit.

Happy hunting.
Thanks for the point, Smack and to Jeff for the comprehensive post in Salt's corner. I started reading it yesterday and am trying to finish it up today.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2010
hardin45lover

hardin45lover is on a distinguished road
your welcome to come see mine anytime and talk SAVE THE HARDINS
Capt.Joseph
Old 05-07-2010

Winn is on a distinguished road
Come see mine, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardin45lover View Post
your welcome to come see mine anytime and talk SAVE THE HARDINS
Capt.Joseph
Black, you are welcome to come see my Hardin 44 anytime, and my arm doesn't have to get twisted to take a ride. I may not have as much sailing experience as some, but I may have a better time. I would compare the Hardin to performance sailboats like an Austin Healey to a Chevy Corvette. The boat has soul and character. I have never had a bad ride in the boat, ever. I take it out several times a week. It may not win a race, but she's not slow either. It's good to ask ask people their opinions on boats, but you will never know unless you go out on it, touch it, feel it, smell it. I don't like my Hardin, I love it. All boats have issues, find one you can fall in love with.

Winn
Old 05-07-2010

Winn is on a distinguished road
What will $100k buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn View Post
Black, you are welcome to come see my Hardin 44 anytime, and my arm doesn't have to get twisted to take a ride. I may not have as much sailing experience as some, but I may have a better time. I would compare the Hardin to performance sailboats like an Austin Healey to a Chevy Corvette. The boat has soul and character. I have never had a bad ride in the boat, ever. I take it out several times a week. It may not win a race, but she's not slow either. It's good to ask ask people their opinions on boats, but you will never know unless you go out on it, touch it, feel it, smell it. I don't like my Hardin, I love it. All boats have issues, find one you can fall in love with.

Winn
One other thought, what other boats can you buy for $100k that are bigger, better, safer, saltier, and more soulful boat than the Hardin for the price range? I found it difficult to find more boat for the money.
Old 05-07-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
"One other thought, what other boats can you buy for $100k that are bigger, better, safer, saltier, and more soulful boat than the Hardin for the price range? I found it difficult to find more boat for the money."

With the exception of the word "Bigger" (which should only apply to a dockside liveaboard and not a sea boat) and perhaps "Soulfull" which is in the heart of the beholder, I would suggest a Kelly Peterson 44 if distance cruising is the goal, which is a better sailing boat on all points of sail, and in all wind ranges, is easier to handle in across the board, and which offers a much more comfortable motion in a seaway.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-01-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2010

cob631 is on a distinguished road
I agree I have had one for two years went all over east coast. and I love it, especialy in a storm if you ever get caught out there you feel real safe, they are not fast but mine is built and I love to sail her.
Old 07-15-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
And the thing is, there is no convincing those that don't like the boat, or any particular boat, for whatever reason. I don't mean that you won't change their mind.

I mean it's *irrelevant* to attempt to change their mind.

Same thing with motorcycles and cars.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

Old 07-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that Jeff_H"s criticisms aren't subjective, but objective, based on his experience with the yards in question and the practices found there. This is not a matter of disliking the boats, but rather the construction practices and materials often used in them. He clearly states his preference is for a different style of boat, but I don't believe he is allowing that to bias his judgement on why these boats are not the best choice.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-30-2010
Wander

Ezzspike is on a distinguished road
Winderlust

I love the lines on this boat and in fact have look at her several times. She is in my marina.

That said what scare the poo out of me about this boat is I have not see her leave the dock in over two years.

They keep her clean but I have never seen anyone on her or sail her
Old 07-31-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
the boats that truly did give the bad rap for taiwanese boats were not the hardins,. they were the formosas. the formosas were built with little or no quality control and have lasted accordingly. the hardins were built in a different yard and under different circumstances than were the formosa and other garden design productions. bill hardin had better control over his yard and the families that did the work'-- go for the hardin ketch--she is an awesome boat.
if you are looking for the folks who have these boats, see the leaky teaky yacht club in yahoo or the leaky teaky tavern in facebook. i own a formosa 41.
there are folks there who have the histories and s more details of these boats--and every one in the group is an owner. we would be most happy to help you and have you join us should you desire.

as for the bias you will find regarding these boats--they are either loved or hated, there is no in between. many folks find a special passion for them as they are awesome boats. before you rule it out get a surveyor and go look at it.thoroughly.
this particular boat looks more fiberglass than mine is--the formosas had much different construction than the hardin 45. hardin 4 is much more fiberglass, deck and cabin house. formosa used wood. the boats that had most problems were the kind like mine--built with the wood coachhouse. if you like the boat, buy it--after survey. there is no dictating of passion for boats--if you have passion for the boat--is a good thing. there are support groups for folks like us--these groups have much interchange if information for repairing and maintaining these boats. you are not and will not be alone. good luck whatever you decide.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Last edited by zeehag; 07-31-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.