Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
I come from another tradition of boats (Scandinavia), so I'm obviously biased. Having said that, I think the boats look like something they're not (traditional), and that always scare me away. It also looks complex, rigging wise, e.g. the bobstay and associated rigging = extra stuff that can go wrong - as well as overly heavy, which not only affects sailing-performance, but also seriously affects the work and strength required by those sailing the boat, especially when the sh1t hits the fan.
Also the interior look like it is homemade from a big chunk of teak - again, that might just be a style, but most Scandinavian boatbuilders would not get away with something that crude.
But as a liveaboard it seems quite nice with a lot of space.
Old 01-29-2011
hardin sailer

capnorv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjenner View Post
Wow, that was fast.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. I've seen a crapped out Hunter and a Catalina in my search and a pristine Hardin, with glass decks, aluminum spars, great sails and a fairly new Perkins.

I'm not going to defend any boat I'm looking at. What I am going to do is look closely, pay attention to unbiased and informed opinions, and go in with as much information as I can.

It really depends on the boat, how well you check it out and who your surveyor is.

Good luck in your search.
Sorry blackjenner, if that Hardin was in Anacortes, it's ours now, finally got the docs yesterday! Seems like a great boat if I ever get used to the size. Fair Winds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Sorry blackjenner, if that Hardin was in Anacortes, it's ours now, finally got the docs yesterday! Seems like a great boat if I ever get used to the size. Fair Winds
No need to apologize at all. Yes, we were interested in Windfall. We saw it twice. It has much going for it. I hope you enjoy it very much. Congrats.

We decided on this:

It's a Baba 35 Pilot House cutter designed by Bob Perry. There were only seven made and we have one. We are very happy with it.
deniseO30 likes this.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2011
hardin sailer

capnorv is on a distinguished road
Yes, Brigadoon is a great boat...
Old 03-11-2011

stevemason is on a distinguished road
luisa

Hey Susan and Norval
See you guys are moving up to a larger boat. We are heading to SF this fall. Are you guys still up in Jarrels Cove? Send me your email and phone.

Smphoto@teleport.
Steve and Teri
galatea
Old 07-19-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Cool

Winderlust's lost is Boasun's gain. And I'm so happy that he passed this beautiful boat by. Because the owner accepted my bid on her and by next weekend after seatrials & survey she is Mine, Mine, Mine. Dang Nabit that latter part sounds to much like daffy duck.
The electronic package is early 1981'ish and should be changed out... After who uses a 12 channel VHF or a Loran C, any more? As with any older boat there are maintenance that are out standing and really needs to be done.
After all, she is a tad lonely and needs someone like myself that will take good care of her. But as I inspected her the first time. Watched how she rolled when the broker stepped on board her (she didn't roll). Very little movement, which to me is a good thing. Now as to her size? I've Captained vessels up to 210 ft. Sailed as mate on much larger ships. So revelancy in her size, she is a tad small from my point of view. Single handed 110 ft crewboats and other vessels. But I will enjoy sailing her and giving her the TLC that she needs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 07-19-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
congratulations on your purchase--to the fella who sed that a heavy boat makes ye work more-- BALDERDASH!!!!!! in SPADES. that is such bunk. i have a heavy boat and i love her--is easier to sail than a performance cruiser-- actually responds. she looks traditinal clipper and sails like a dream. i absolutely LOVE my formosa41..... only thing i would replace her with would be a formosa 51 or a hardin 45 or a vagabond 47.
nice heavy boats make cruising a dream not a nightmare. tried performance boats--we were so exhausted at every place we stopped it was ridiculous-we were too exhausted to enjoy much of the areas.. wasnt cruising in comfort. was bashing.
met big winds and seas in my formosa and i was happy-- she is heavy and solid and sails well. loves the wind. easy to steer even when i was hand steering her.
Boasun likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 07-20-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Excellent. I was thrilled when I first bought my heavy ketch (39', 16 tons) and I still love her. I'm happy aboard, sailing or moored. And I singlehand her constantly. Fair winds!
Old 07-26-2011

tsuidc is on a distinguished road
When I read the earlier postings on this thread, I was surprised that nobody pointed out to Smackdaddy regarding the difference between Taiwan built versus Cheoy Lee built boats. Cheoy Lee is a reputable Hong Kong shipyard with over a hundred years of boat building experience (not too many of our yachtyards in the US can make the same claim). They recently moved their operations to southern China (just like everybody else). They built beautifully crafted sailing yachts mostly during the seventies when Hong Kong was still British. They built them to Lloyd's specifications, but I probably would not buy a used Cheoy Lee now mostly because of the teak decks (just personal preference). I don't believe they are building anymore sailboats. Now their business is mostly geared towards custom motor boats of the superyacht variety and ocean going tugs.
Old 07-26-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
As someone that constantly searches all the sail boat sales sites.. I can't keep from lingering on all the "leaky teaky" boat ads.
this one in Deale MD is breathtaking to just view online. I'd dare not go see it. although I could never afford a boat even near that price range.
1981 Hardin Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.