Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010

montenido is on a distinguished road
Morgan 41 Center Cockpit

Hi all, I am considering a center cockpit but don't know too much about them. They seem roomy, but do they sail well? Here is one I am looking at.

1987 Morgan 41 Classic Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2010

jimmytc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi all, I am considering a center cockpit but don't know too much about them. They seem roomy, but do they sail well? Here is one I am looking at.

1987 Morgan 41 Classic Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Bill

Sure looks good !!
Old 03-09-2010
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
Took classes on one in San Carlos, spent 7 days on it. Roomy might be an understatement, there may be a few tight spots, but for the most part you will not be feeling cramped. Sailing, well I found it comfortable and stable, they do not point real high, but they are heavy and stable. Not the fastest of boats, but once you get to where you are going, you will be able to enjoy the stay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-09-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
You have not stated your goals for the boat. These boats were in production for a very long time and from my experience quality of construction apparently varied wide but the ones that I knew were moderately poorly constructed, and had worse than medocre sailing ability. They do make great live aboards and reasonable coastal cruisers. I know some folks have done more ambitious programs with these boats, but for a host of reasons I do not see them as particularly good offshore cruisers.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-09-2010

montenido is on a distinguished road
I should have clarified my goals for the boat. Currently I sail single-handed quite often, and take my family of four on overnight trips. My wife has stated that she would like more room than our C30 has. My ultimate goal would be to coastal cruise down Mexico and into the Sea of Cortez. Maybe a trip to Hawaii?

I like the few Morgans I have seen, but have not really climbed aboard a center cockpit yet. Just looking for something with more room than my C30, with possible blue-water capability.

Thanks, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 03-09-2010

priscilla is on a distinguished road
I sailed one over to the Abacos once, roomy and comfortable, but had to turn the engine on to tack! Nice shallow draft though.
Old 03-09-2010

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
This one says it has a fin keel, which should tack better than the full-keeled Morgans.
Old 03-09-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
The 41 Classic does sail better than the Out Island 41s, due as mentioned to the different keel design. Draws a little more water I think. Owners of Out islands I have talked to over the years have been happy with build quality. The Classic is built a bit lighter I believe, but the one I drove seemed quite well put together. The sloop models of these boats perform better than the ketchs.
Center cockpit vs. aft cockpit doesn't necessarily affect sailing performance as a rule. That is determined more by what's below the waterline.
Old 03-10-2010

Bellita is on a distinguished road
I single handed one from Tampa to Puerto Rico. it had a 5 foot draft. Went through everything from dead calms to 13 foot seas. it had electric winches for the jib, which were wonderful. Could just stand on the control while working the the wheel.
I loved that boat. The comment about not pointing high is correct. about 60 degrees off wind was the best I could do, but the ride was fine and the seas it had to handle never left me feeling concerned for it's construction. I found the center cockpit on the boat particularly nice when at anchor and entertaining. big, roomy and left a lot of room below for living on the hook.
good luck with your decision. You should be able to find the boats anywhere from $45K-$90K depending on how much work has been done on them.
Old 04-07-2010

evasion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by priscilla View Post
I sailed one over to the Abacos once, roomy and comfortable, but had to turn the engine on to tack! Nice shallow draft though.
Dont' exagerate ! Wind must have been very light and the boat not moving!

Don't have to start engine to tack my OI 41 Sloop with aerodinamic scrap sails and where I sail righ now, I tack very often!