Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010

bonvent is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 423

Hello,

I consider buying a Beneteau 423 2005 .

Could a broker or a surveyor provide me with the listing of the sales in the USA of all Beneteau 42 and 43 feet made from 2002 to 2005 and sold from January 2008 to March 2010 ? I would prefer to have this information before making an offer. I believe all other sources like NADA or BUC of less accuracy. The actual sales are the best source , with all the flaws possible, we can get.

Any other advice or opinion on this purchase is welcome.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
What is your intended sailing? Do you plan on cruising long range/long term? Do you plan on sailing local coastal waters?
Old 03-10-2010

We will do coastal navigation and a return trip to Europe. Family of 5.
Old 03-10-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
There's a 423 owners forum at this site. You'lll need to sign up but I'd expect you'll get all the info you may need to make a decision. Good luck the 423 is a very nice and quite popular boat.

Beneteau423 : Beneteau 423
Old 03-10-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
PM me and I'll get you the soldboats data tomorrow. I'm going to bed now its been a long day
Old 03-11-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Another approach you might take is to get a buyer's broker. It doesn't cost you a penny (the two brokers will share the commission) but the buyer's broker has access to this information through soldboats and other sources of data internal to the brokerage trade. He'll tell you the realistic assessment of the values of the boats on your list and a good one with experience will also consult with you regarding your desires.
The B423 was one of the boats I looked at for my last purchase and there were some very good ones at low prices coming out of the BVI Sunsail/Moorings charter fleet. If you are willing to purchase an ex-charter boat then the BVI is your best best for selection and I could recommend an excellent buyer's broker for you there. The moorings ex-charter boat salespeople are also knowledgeable and easy to work with and have a good working relationship with the buyer's brokers as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonvent View Post
Hello,

I consider buying a Beneteau 423 2005 .

Could a broker or a surveyor provide me with the listing of the sales in the USA of all Beneteau 42 and 43 feet made from 2002 to 2005 and sold from January 2008 to March 2010 ? I would prefer to have this information before making an offer. I believe all other sources like NADA or BUC of less accuracy. The actual sales are the best source , with all the flaws possible, we can get.

Any other advice or opinion on this purchase is welcome.

Thank you.
Does the boat you are looking at list (to stbd as I recall)? Does she have a nice little Beneteau dirty butt on the transom where the deck and hull joint is? Are barnacles there yet and would they hurt when one of your kids scrapes up against them? Do you have enough Cipro on board if you all do? Any way to paint that and how would it look? Have you considered how much lower she will sit when fully loaded down with cruising gear and family? Can you paint that high, especially around the stern? I raised my stripe 3 inches as most LA and cruisers do. Can you? Does the stern dig in really hard when going to weather? What would that be like on a many week run??

Hmmm.... did your broker mention any of these?

Nice intereior. We considered it for a few milli-seconds and moved on. I am not trying to be a jerk and I am sure many other owners on here will chide me for it. I like Benes. Always have. I just do not like THAT Bene. THis is my opinion, but I live and cruise with kids on a fully loaded boat and would not own that boat. I believe there are better products out there. We purchased a Catalina 400. Check out your other options and check out my comments before signing. And make sure the current owner is not selling for the very comments I have posted. I knew and spoke to 423 owners that got frustrated with the very things I have mentioned.

Just fyi. And again, these are my opinions.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-11-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
PM me and I'll get you the soldboats data tomorrow. I'm going to bed now its been a long day
What is YOUR opinion of my comments on the 423? You could care less if they buy it? Would you buy that particular Bene product?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-11-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
What is YOUR opinion of my comments on the 423? You could care less if they buy it? Would you buy that particular Bene product?

Brian
Oh Oh ... here we go ....... I would not buy any French designed (or built)boat from the early 90's onward for anything more than coastal cruising. They are paper thin, extremely flexible and have some really stupid design features whether Beneteau, Jeanneau or Dufour.
a few examples.

- I have been in a 50' in 12' head seas, it's scary to stand at the companionway looking towards the bow and see how much it flexes.

- I have seen a number of them damaged in cradles because they are too weak.

- I have seen a water heater cut in half to get it out of the boat and then the boat re-plumbed because you could not get a new water heater in the same location.

- Propane fuel hose connections with gear clamps !

My feeling about these boats could fill a forum by itself. Many of us are out cruising on 35 year old C&C's, Catalina's and older Hunters. I'd put money on the table that very few of these later model French boats will be around in 20years.

omigod I've stepped in it now
Old 03-11-2010

Thanks

Thank you to all of you, for all these helpful facts, tips and opinions. I am going to make an offer.