Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010

stm is on a distinguished road
Surveyor says it's wet, and in some small areas some rot is detected. Surveyors says all boats of this vintage have some water intrusion, and this is not abnormal. To know for sure, rip up the deck. To do it right, and get cosmetically back to where it should be, cost prohibitive. Entire deck would need to be finished. Surveyor says ,chances are that the deck would not give me problems ,especially for coastal cruising. No problem with that. Problem lies with when I am ready to sell and all surveyors are going to point thumbs down because the moisture never leaves. Still waiting for a definitive answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're going to be waiting a long time...there are no DEFINITIVE ANSWERS when it comes to boats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stm View Post
Surveyor says it's wet, and in some small areas some rot is detected. Surveyors says all boats of this vintage have some water intrusion, and this is not abnormal. To know for sure, rip up the deck. To do it right, and get cosmetically back to where it should be, cost prohibitive. Entire deck would need to be finished. Surveyor says ,chances are that the deck would not give me problems ,especially for coastal cruising. No problem with that. Problem lies with when I am ready to sell and all surveyors are going to point thumbs down because the moisture never leaves. Still waiting for a definitive answer.
Old 03-10-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
I would appreciate some examples of surveyors held accountable for poor professional judgment regarding wet or leaking decks. Published appellate decisions would be especially helpful.
Old 03-10-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
I would much appreciate example of surveyors held accountable for poor judgment regarding wet or leaking decks. Published appellate decisions would be especially helpful.
Old 03-10-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
It's highly unlikely that you will find a boat of the vintage under discussion without some wet core. Its a questions of degree. I agree that for coastal or Great Lakes cruising a few areas of wet core will not pose a threat to vessel or crew but it will definetly have a negative effect on value when you go to sell the boat. Any prospective purchaser will have the same qualms that you are having right now and will expect a price reduction. . My advice ... if its not so bad that its a structural issue, get the price reduced by an amount close to the cost of a recore job and go sailing. If the seller is too unrealistic to realize the situation ... move on to your next prospect.
Old 03-10-2010

Sailing Dog recommended the Maine Sail article on moisture meters. I believe that article puts far too much faith in these meters and suggest you balance that out by reading my less optimistic article ...
moisture meter mythology

I have had the benefit of using these meters on over 2,000 boats and do not completely trust them. I have also had the opportunity to measure boat structure moisture content on a couple of hundred boats before and after that structure was opened up. After these many experiences I would never put my faith in a meter reading alone.
Old 03-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, surveyors have a vested interest in having consumers not learn to do as much as possible for themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Of course, surveyors have a vested interest in having consumers not learn to do as much as possible for themselves.
There is no vested interest in this situation, the consumer is going to have to hire me anyway (if they want insurance).The point of my article was to educate the consumer. Now I will gladly argue the veracity of the position stated in my article, otherwise I will ignore accusatory postings.
Old 03-10-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
SPC, you obviously are a lawyer (same here). I wouldn't freak out about the moisture meter readings. I agree, they are more voodoo than science. They seem to be good for measuring relativity between two spots or two boats, but I'm not at all convinced that they offer anything useful in terms of absolute numbers (i.e., whether the core in fact is wet or damaged). I had a yard guy, whom I trust, tell me that my hull on my last boat was wet, which freaked me out. We took a couple of core samples, and they were bone BONE dry. Sawdust!

As others have said, you are highly unlikely to find a 25 year old boat that won't have some moisture in the deck core, and I'm not convinced that it would affect your resale value 5 years from now. Anyone seriously considering a 30 year old boat has to expect some deck moisture.

An option for you is to take a couple of core samples from the deck to see what you've got. You may ask the seller to pay and/or split the cost, but even if you have to pay for it on your own it shouldn't be that expensive if the sample can be taken from an inconspicuous spot, particularly if it can be done from the interior behind some cabinetry without penetrating the outer skin.

What kind of boat?

Old 03-10-2010

sahara is on a distinguished road
If the core is wet, it's not going to get better with time.

How do you get a crack at an anchor cleat? Were the holes drilled too big? No backing plate? Was the boat being towed in bad conditions and the tow rope snatched up? Is the core exposed at the holes? Shouldn't the core have been deleted around the cleat?

How do you know that was the only source of the water intrusion?

If my deck had wet core, I'd get it fixed. What does it say about the owner of a "beyond excellent" boat that he didn't have the wet deck fixed? It's not rocket science.

If this boat is beyond excellent, and you're going to pay a premium, then the boat should really be "beyond excellent", not just cosmetically, but structurally as well.

It would really help to know what kind of boat you're dealing with, Hinckley or Hunter. If it's a $25,000 boat and the fix is $8,000, then it not going to get fixed. If it's a $250,000 boat, an $8,000 fix is worth doing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.