SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Buying Advice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/62837-buying-advice.html)

njadventure 03-13-2010 06:21 AM

Buying Advice

I hope you guys can put up with another cry for advice. My wife and I are looking for 32'-34' weekender. She'll be sailed mostly in the Sandy Hook Bay with the occasional trip to NYC harbor and a once a year trip to New England. Our buying budget is $20-25K +/-. I favor the look and design of the classic design sailboat.

On my short list are:
Tartan
Cape Dory
Sea Sprite
Bristol
Alberg
Luders

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
Bill

sailingdog 03-13-2010 07:12 AM

I'd add the Southern Cross line of boats and the Elizabethan line of boats to that list. They're both classic canoe stern double-enders... and both lines have proven themselves very seaworthy. The Elizabethans that are in the US came over from England on their own power. The Southern Crosses have made circumnavigations.

chef2sail 03-13-2010 07:36 AM

I would also add C&C and Sabre to your list

CapnA 03-14-2010 06:48 AM

C&C definitely should be on your list. They are fast, and the construction quality is excellent.

In the Tartan line, I really liked the Tartan 33. Big cockpit, nice layout below. It has a sheel keel, which gives it relatively shallow draft, but can still go offshore if properly set up and maintained.

sailingdog 03-14-2010 07:53 AM

While older Tartan and C&Cs should be on the list, I'd be wary of the newer, epoxy-resin Tartans and C&Cs, some of which have exhibited very serious problems for boats of such a recent vintage. I'd also point out that Tartan and C&C's famous 15-year warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

chef2sail 03-14-2010 08:52 AM

Dog...I highly doubt he will get a newer C&C as his budget is $20-$25K. That is unless he buys a Tartan without a keel..sic

sailingdog 03-14-2010 08:59 AM

Yeah, but it is always worth taking a pot shot at those slimebags Ross/Jackett/etal.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 580527)
Dog...I highly doubt he will get a newer C&C as his budget is $20-$25K. That is unless he buys a Tartan without a keel..sic

Bermudahigh 03-14-2010 09:26 AM

Good list

Quote:

Originally Posted by njadventure (Post 580119)
I hope you guys can put up with another cry for advice. My wife and I are looking for 32'-34' weekender. She'll be sailed mostly in the Sandy Hook Bay with the occasional trip to NYC harbor and a once a year trip to New England. Our buying budget is $20-25K +/-. I favor the look and design of the classic design sailboat.

On my short list are:
Tartan
Cape Dory
Sea Sprite
Bristol
Alberg
Luders

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
Bill

Suggest you look at Mariner (NH built) 36. They can be had for just a touch above ($27-29K). They carry a bunch of room for their size. Give and take a few small issues, they are worth consideration IMHO. Good luck and good sailing.

njadventure 03-14-2010 01:24 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely give C&C another look.

tobuyornottobuy 03-16-2010 03:46 PM

Sailingdog, what years are you talking about for Tartans "exhibited very serious problems for boats of such a recent vintage"? And what problems?
My husband and I are looking at boats (30 -32 feet long) and only wanted to consider boats newer than 1989 because of the problems with blistering on older boats. We are currently looking at Tartan 31's and Pearson 31's. Suggestions and comments would be appreciated.