stm is on a distinguished road
35-40 cruising boat

Advise on purchasing 35''to 40'' sailboat
for shorthanded coastal cruising up and down
east coast including islands. Budget tops at
150,000. Like classic lines,speed not as
important as safety. Plan on sailing 5 years
living on board 5 years or so.
Currently looking at Bristol 38,Tayana 37.
Sabre 36/38, Passport 40, Dickerson 37,
Little Harbor 38.Island Packet 38. Any feedback appreciated. Experience is limited
to 5 years on Chesapeake on 35''sloop with
occational offshore delivery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2001

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
35-40 cruising boat

I own a Bristol, which is fine, but given my druther''s and $150K I''d find an Island Packet, no doubt. I was looking at a Gulfstar 50 Mark II the other day here in the VI. Sparkman & Stevens design. Looked pretty nice, easily handled and room to move. They kick off at around $125. KW
Old 01-29-2001

Tangerine is on a distinguished road
35-40 cruising boat

We''ve looked at and considered the Tayana and Passport, but settled for a Union 36, sisteship to the Hans Christian. She is a full displacement with a draft of 5.9 ft.
She weighs 22,000 lbs. Robert Perry design. Sleeps six. Has a perkins 408. We''ve have held our Union for 11 years. She has not given us one problem. No blisters etc.. Ours is a cutter rig with roller furling. Hall speed is 7.65. Hope this info helps you in your new purchase.
Old 02-27-2001

Attaque is on a distinguished road
35-40 cruising boat

Despite the fact that you say speed is not that important keep in mind that a good sailing boat is more fun and safer because it get''s you there faster and is potentially stiffer. The IP 38 is very solid and has great live aboard amenities but is really slow PHRF 180+, on the other end of the spectrum would be a J 37C PHRF around 80.
Old 03-09-2001

Raindance is on a distinguished road
35-40 cruising boat

I was fortunate enough to find an experienced broker who had several years of offshore experience under his belt. I would strongly suggest that you find someone whose cruising style, destination, and budget mirrors your won. As for my choice, I ended up with a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37, and was very happy with it. I can''t speak to the Bristol, Dickerson, Sabre, or Little Harbor, but I have a stong opinion on the others that you are looking at. If you can get past how spacious the Island Packet seems sitting on the hard at a boat show, and speak to some experienced skippers, you will probably find a generally unfavorable opinion of what many of us call the "Island Piglet." It has some serious sailing and construction limitations that would keep me from sailing one in offshore waters. Most Passport owners (in fact most Perry design owners) are very loyal to their boats - I just happen to have different ideas on water tank placement, materials, etc. That said, and speaking as one of the many Crealock-loyal patrons, you should take a look at the Pacific Seacraft line. Nigel Calder and Herb Payson booth chose that brand, and they are certainly more experienced than me. I bought mine 6 years ago for around $100K, added solar and wind generators, new cushions, water maker, and all of the other things that were needed to satisfy a non-cruising wife (and 2 golden retreivers), and ended up investing a total of $120K. The boat held its value after the cruise, and kept me, an inexperienced skipper at the time, out of trouble.

Good luck in your own search - its part of the fun!
Old 03-10-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
35-40 cruising boat

TAKE A LOOK AT A TARTAN 37. VERY NICE BOAT FOR OFFSHORE
ERIC
Old 07-31-2006

conchcruzer is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't force myself to "get over" the space you find on an IP. Living aboard requires the amount of space and storage that satisfies the needs of the owner. Some folks can be happy living on a 22' Catalina while others would not find adequate room on a 55' motorsailor. A good comparison would be a Pacific Seacraft 37 and an IP 35, 37, or 38. Compare the two and the difference is obvious. I'm certainly not knocking the PS. They are two very different boats built for different purposes.

I'm not sure the IP would be my first choice for light air sailing that is often found on the US East Coast. However, consider the comparison to the PS 37. The design of this boat speaks of safety and seakeeping in passages that cover thousands of miles. The IP, while strongly built, will handle offshore work and provide you with comfortable accomodations once you arrive.

In 20 months of liveaboard cruising, I spend about 10% of my time on passage and 90% living at anchor. I prefer a boat that is built for the 90% rather than the 10%.

Regards,
ConchCruzer
S/V Eventyr
IP-40
www.ipphotos.com/eventyr