Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010

CaptinRedBeard is on a distinguished road
Ranger 26 issue's

I'm a novice sailor looking to purchase my first boat. In 3 days I'm going to look at a Ranger 26 and race it with the owner in a local regatta. I've read a lot about the Ranger 26 (Gary Mull, ect) and it appears to be a great starter boat that I'm hoping to be able to single hand with confidence.

So I know all the good stuff but now I need to know the bad stuff since everything has it's weakness. So far one person told me that replacement parts can be tough to come by so fabrication is usually necessary and can be expensive. Any other common issues anyone can think of?

The boat is a 1973, no major bells or whistles, a 2002 mercery 5hp 2-stroke. All sails and rigging are reported to be in good condition but i currently haven't seen any maintance records and have no clue when the rigging was last replaced, the owner sails the boat regularly (usually 3 times per week). He seems very proud of the boat which I hope is an indicatior that he has taken good care of it. I'm sure the boat has seen some rough sea's because the owner said he has made 6 interisland cruises in the last year (in Hawaii, from Oahu to Maui, Molakai, and Lanikai.) Once again please only post up the things that are known issue's with these boats.

Your Help is much appreaciated.
Also does anyone have any idea what a survey would cost for a boat like this?

everyone has a little captain in them
-Captain Morgan-
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat's rigging hasn't been replaced, it is likely that you should have it inspected by a rigger. Thirty-seven years is a long time for rigging...

The chainplates and tangs should also be closely inspected.

I'd also recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether this boat is worth looking at further.

As for surveys, it depends a lot on where you're located. I am guessing that you're on the Hawaiian islands from your post, but could not tell you what a survey there would cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-15-2010

Sailing dog,

thanks for the tip, I've actually already read and printed your tip's post. I'm fairly positive the rigging has been replaced in the last 37 years (LOL). I'm assuming I should go to the local yatch club to find info on surveyers in the area?
Old 03-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
For a local surveyor, I would go to the boat yard that works on the most expensive and biggest boats in the area and ask the yard manager who he would use. Then ask a few other people, and if that name comes up more than once... use him. Another good source for surveyors are insurance agents...

You could also look to see if anyone has asked about surveyors in your area or post a thread asking for recommendations. If you read the post in my signature, you'll see how you can use google to search the sailinet forums, which generally works a lot better than the sailnet internal search.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-05-2010

gmbandco is on a distinguished road
Let us know if you buy the Ranger. There is a Ranger site (all sizes, not just 26's) and a Facebook page as well.

Ranger-Yachts Home
Old 05-05-2010

I did not end up buying the Ranger. The guy had already sold it on my arrival, But I did meet a great sailor who has taught me a lot. The new owner allows the old owner to continue to race the boat. I have established my place as one of the crew members. I will post a link to some of the video's I have taken while sailing on the Ranger 26. We can get this little boat moving pretty quick.

YouTube - The lady hawkeye (ranger 26 sailboat)

YouTube - Cal 20 Stubborn BEAVER!.mov
Old 05-06-2010
Telstar 28

Thanks for the update.

Telstar 28
New England