SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Classic style 17-22ft with diesel inboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/62931-classic-style-17-22ft-diesel-inboard.html)

james156733 03-16-2010 03:31 AM

Classic style 17-22ft with diesel inboard

Hello all first post.

Have been enjoying looking through many articles on pocket cruisers, and apologies if I am re asking an old question.

I have owned many boats although only 2 of them were sailing boats and I am looking at getting back into sailing after a long absence and teaching my wife to sail.

We are after a classic styled vessel with a diesel inboard. 17-22ft long that can be easily launched from most boat ramps and that does not take overly long to rig up. The boats performance is for cruising only and enjoying a quiet well earned break.

My wife and I would like to explore the bays, esturies and rivers of Australia's east coast from Melbourne up to Cooktown over the next few years. The vessel only needs to be able to support us for a max of 5 days. While we may want to pop out for the odd bit of coastal sailing on calm days the admiral does not do well in choppy seas and that kills my fun very quickly.

Ok some essentials that I dont want to compromise on.
* classic design (nothing modern of too flashy)
* mono Hull
* sleeps 2 comfortably, with toilet and basic kitchen facilities
* diesel inboard
* easy to launch, rig and sail
* less than 22ft
* beam less than 8'2" (2.5m) otherwise it gets too entertaining with oversize restrictions.
* would also prefer a used boat, under 10 years old.
* the budget is 30-35k (US) including inporting, taxes and fitting out

We have 2 current favorites (one mine one my wifes) but would like some input into any know problems of these two or any suggestions of boats that would be better.

Current favorites
Menger 19' cat
Cape cutter 19'
I know the cape cutter in these articals does not have the diesel inboard but the company is currently conducting trials with the Yanmar 10hp.

Cheers and regards
Jim

BlueWaterMD 03-16-2010 06:03 AM

Take a look at the Horizon Cat by Com-Pac. 20' w/ available diesel. Easy to trailer and rig. Fits all of your needs, and definitely has classic styling.

Just realized you are in Australia. Don't know about the price of importing one of these.

JohnRPollard 03-16-2010 07:40 AM

Hi Jim,

Welcome to Sailnet!

That's a tall order -- trailerable, head, cooking and sleeping accommodations, diesel engine inbord, 17-22 feet.

Over here in the States, we have a couple of boats that the trailer-sailor cruising crowd always seem to speak highly of: Montgomerys, and West Wight Potters. But unfortunately they do not run an inboard diesel -- just outboards.

I'm not at all familiar with your waters. So I'll just mention that the Montys and WWPs are very much on the lighter end of the spectrum -- good for trailering/launching but maybe not so great for any real serious ocean work in rough conditions.

On the other end of the spectrum would be something like the Flicka 20, built by Pacific Seacraft. But these are built heavy enough to cross oceans, so might be too much boat for your purposes. However, there are plenty of folks (likely the majority of owners) who use them simply for coastal sailing. Here's an example:

Flicka 20 by PSC

Good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions -- everyone seems to have their favorites.

sailingdog 03-16-2010 07:54 AM

I'd think that you'd want to buy locally, since importing a small boat is going to involve fairly significant transportation costs. One book that might be worth looking at, even though it does concentrate on boats that were available in the US, is The Sailor's Book of Small Cruising Sailboats.

I'd point out that a Montgomery 17 is currently making a circumnavigation IIRC. WWPs, at least the larger ones, are pretty seaworthy.

The Flicka 20, is actually more like 24' LOA and really heavy.

Allanbc 03-16-2010 08:13 AM

I had a Montgomery 17 for a short period of time. I was really impressed by the boat and would love to own another. They are VERY stout little boats. I don't know if I would circumnavigate in one but I'm sure the boat is up to it (with a few mods). There have been at least a couple of M15's that have sailed from California to Hawaii. Great boat, shallow draft, has a port-a-potty, sink, and can set up a small galley. The V-berth is pretty comfortable. On top of all that, they sail nicely and are pretty dry.

blackjenner 03-16-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 581351)
On the other end of the spectrum would be something like the Flicka 20, built by Pacific Seacraft. But these are built heavy enough to cross oceans, so might be too much boat for your purposes. However, there are plenty of folks (likely the majority of owners) who use them simply for coastal sailing. Here's an example:

Flicka 20 by PSC

Good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions -- everyone seems to have their favorites.

Damn, that's cute.

Welcome, Jim!

james156733 03-17-2010 01:02 AM

Thank you for the suggestions and information receive so far.

I looked at the compac horizion but at 8'4" I would have to set up oversize signs, flashing yellow lights and only be able to travel in the daylight hours. Until we discovered this fact it was my wifes 1st choice, since then she has lent towards the Menger 19.

I will do some more investigation on the flicka 20 as it bears looking at thankyou for the suggestion.

Locally produced Classic style boats in Australia. The only one that I am aware of is the Couta boat but at 26ft its just a little on the long side. It is also used in a classic sailing class which specifices wood construction so its quite pricy. (Second hand in excellent condition $70000 aust and upward)

I know I am being kinda ambitious in what I would like but we have found 2 maybe 3 candidates (flicka 20?).
The 19ft boats have the major advantage of being able to be packed into a standard shipping container which makes transporting it to Australia substantially more affordable. (roughly $4000US 4500lb goods in a 20ft container)

Thanks Saildog for the book reference, ordered one this afternoon.

If anyone else out there has a suggestion please post, as my wife and I are would like to visit the US and or Britan for a test sail sometime early 2011 and would like to have it nailed down to two or three candidates by then.

Cheers and regards
Jim

paulk 03-20-2010 07:22 AM

Norwalk Island Sharpies, built in Mount Barker South Australia might be worth checking out. nisboats.com - Your Norwalk Islands Sharpies One Stop Shop They seem to have caught on fairly well (judging from the promo hype, anyway.) They're traditional-looking shallow-draft boats with decent performance. Having an inboard diesel is nice, but not having to use it all the time because your boat can actually sail is nicer.