Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Who to use for title search?

Could someone recommend a company that can do a title search for a boat purchase? I am in the Philadelphia area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2010

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
No personal experience or affiliation - Broker mentioned them a while back

http://www.yachtworld.com/leaving_yw...ryourboat.com/
Old 03-17-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
What do you mean by "title search"? Buying a boat is more like buying a car than a piece of real estate.
Old 03-17-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
The previous owner should provide an original state issued boat title. The owner will sign-off in the presence of a notary just like for car title transfer.

If a title exists there is no need to look any further.

If no title was issue by a state, not that unusual, then PA will require proof of ownership by the previous owner, which may include original prior state registration and original prior notorized bill of sale.

You may need to transferr the title first in NJ and pay NJ tax, then use that title for your proof of your ownership for PA title. PA will credit the NJ tax to PA taxes due.

Title and transfer in NJ is at the DMV, title and transferr in pA is at a Tag Shop with Fish and Boat endorsment.

Hope everthing works out for the trip down the Delware on the 26th.

Last edited by Ulladh; 03-17-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
According to what I have been told: Like real estate or a car, a boat can have liens placed against its title (or USCG documentation) by unpaid lenders, marinas, repairmen, govt entities, etc. A title search helps determine that the title is clean. The boat that I am buying is both titled and documented (not totally legit to do that), so I have double potential for trouble, and need to confirm that the owner has deleted the USCG doc per my request.

My broker uses a 3rd party doc service that handles escrow and title search. I called them today with a question and do not like the way I was treated, so I'm looking for someone else to use instead.

FYI, the boat is already titled in PA, I live in PA and plan to keep it in PA for at least the next year, so I plan to pay sales tax to PA and transfer the current title to me. No need to get NJ involved at all (unless they have a lien against the boat ;-( ).

Just curious - it sounds like most of you bought your boats without a title search? Is this step not necessary in your opinion? Or is it possible to just call the state and/or USCG and find out for myself?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-17-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat is documented, the liens should be on the USCG documentation. That is one major reason banks like documented boats. BTW, your P&S agreement should have some wording in it saying that the boat is being sold free of all encumbrances or something to that effect.

BoatUS has a settlement service for people buying boats. It costs about $550 or so, but includes a good title search and transferring the USCG documentation...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
need to confirm that the owner has deleted the USCG doc per my request.
Why would you want to delete the USCG documentation? As the Dog noted, it is prefered by banks. It is also good if you ever plan to take the boat out of US waters, and will make possilble resale down the road that much easier. Several people at my marina have said that they wish they documented at the time of sale rather than going with state registration. Just curious.
Old 03-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, the link to the BoatUS settlement service is: BoatU.S. Settlement Service

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
You can also deal directly with the Coast Guard to obtain your abstract of title. Their website is USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page and the fee is $25. You can also call them and they can answer any of your questions.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 03-18-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
PA boat title lein information request;

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/p...ms/pfbc_t9.pdf

Only for leins recorded against the PA title.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.