Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010

Polypterus is on a distinguished road
Surveyor & boat yard in Oxnard CA area

So it looks like I might be finally getting a sailboat (a Swan 37). I have agreed to a price with the seller, but I still need to get her surveyed and if all goes well I also need to get some more equipment on her so I can sail her (with experienced help) from Oxnard to San Francisco. So.......

1) Does anyone know of a good Surveyor in Oxnard?

2) What should I definitely have on board to sail her up the coast. For instance I'm assuming I'll need to buy a life raft. I think she has a cheap autopilot but I would like to get a windvane. Should I get it now before making the trip? Besides provisions what else would you have? She doesn't have an anchor. Do I need one to safely go from an Oxnard marina to an SF marina, in case something unforeseen happens?

3) Where's a good boatyard/chandlery in the Oxnard area?

I don't intend to buy everything now. just want stuff that's going to get me here without too much trauma.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2010

montenido is on a distinguished road
Hi, Channel Islands boat yard worked well for me. I will find the name of the surveyor I used. Might take a couple of days. Congrats on the boat.

Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 03-21-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The one at Charlotte Schmidt Yacht Sales in Oxnard? Looks like a nice boat. Congratulations. There is a bow roller but you should have a good anchor, chain and rode. Maybe a 35 lb Rocna or something similar, 60' of chain with a matching rode. I'd skip the windvane - bring someone experienced with you and you will pick up pointers as you go. I don't think I would get a liferaft either. If the boat surveys well it should be good to travel. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2010

Thanks guys. I actually have since found a surveyor who a few people (including another surveyor) have told me is the best guy around in that area so I think I'm now set on that front. Montenido, I'll check out Channel Islands boat yard. Thanks for the tip. Mitiempo, that is the same boat. I'm going on the sea trial on Wednesday and the survey is the following Tuesday. If all goes well I'll be a boat owner next week sometime
Old 03-22-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Polypterus, Are you local to the SF Bay Area? If so, you can rent a life raft at Sal’s Inflatable’s in Alameda You might be able to rent an EPIRB from him too. I would make sure you get a good diesel mechanic to inspect the engine. You might want to get the fuel polished and the tank cleaned (extra RACOR filters on hand is good too.) As this trip is usually a bash and most deliveries north are done under engine power for most of the distance. Good luck and have a safe trip! What marina are you planning on berthing at?
Old 03-22-2010

swadiver is on a distinguished road
You might want to consider a separate surveyor for the engine. When I bought my Catalina 30 two years ago I used a regular surveyor and a rig surveyor and they do not look at the engine in any kind of detail. I motor sailed her from Oceanside to Long Beach and had engine issues. A mechanical surveyor would have caught the problem. Good Luck.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 03-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Polypterus, Are you local to the SF Bay Area? If so, you can rent a life raft at Sal’s Inflatable’s in Alameda You might be able to rent an EPIRB from him too.
Actually I was going to buy a life raft. I'm leaning towards a Winslow. However they are so uber expensive that I'm thinking I should wait for the Oakland boat show to see if I can get a boat show price on them since Winslow will have a booth there. If I have to move the boat before the show in mid April I'll probably take your suggestion and rent one.
Old 12-27-2010

FlyingClipper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypterus View Post
Thanks guys. I actually have since found a surveyor who a few people (including another surveyor) have told me is the best guy around in that area so I think I'm now set on that front. Montenido, I'll check out Channel Islands boat yard. Thanks for the tip. Mitiempo, that is the same boat. I'm going on the sea trial on Wednesday and the survey is the following Tuesday. If all goes well I'll be a boat owner next week sometime
I am also looking for a good surveyor in Oxnard.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Ron

my email address is FlyClipp at yahoo
(the system doesn't let me post the address. I hope I am not violating any important rule).
Old 12-27-2010

windward54 is on a distinguished road
I used Ross at Maritime Surveyors. Did a very thorough job and took his time going over everything with me.

maritimesurveyors.com

As for a boatyard, I used Anacapa Marine Services. Did a good job as well.
Old 12-28-2010

FlyingClipper is on a distinguished road
Yes - Ross Hubbard. This confirm another recommendation I recieved.

Thanks for the advice - I'll get the ball rolling.