Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010

bassviking is on a distinguished road
Moisture Meter Assistance Needed Southern California

On the 20th I'm flying to California to look at some boats. I would love to have a meter to take with me to help with the choices. However I just remembered about the meter thread today. I called the place in Canada about getting a CT33 fedex'd to my buddy in LA but they said with cutoms the fastest it would get there is 5 days. They mentioned using JR Overseas but they want $325 for it. I hate getting ripped off like that.

So, is there somebody in SoCal that could either sell, rent, or loan their meter to me for the week. I've got around ten boats I'd like to check out. I'm coming into LAX on the 20th and leaving on the 26th. I'll drive to just about anywhere in Ventura, LA, Orange or San Diego counties to make this happen.

Also, if there is some other type of Meter sold by a different company that would work as well. Feel free to let us all know.

I can be reached at bassviking )at( yahoo dot / com

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd imagine that one could be bought in the USA.... Did you try eBay..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-19-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
You can probably find a moisture meter at places that sell mainly cement products, or they can tell you where you can get one. An equipment rental business might have one.
Old 03-19-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd imagine that one could be bought in the USA.... Did you try eBay..
No, not legitimately. JR Overseas has the exclusive rights to the Electrophysics meters here in the US and the CT-33 has to be purchased and shipped from Canada if you want one..

A MM is not an item I would feel comfortable buying used...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-19-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
You can probably find a moisture meter at places that sell mainly cement products, or they can tell you where you can get one. An equipment rental business might have one.
They won't do you much good without a conversion scale for fiberglass and the reading won't tell you much if you don't have a the translation as to what it means on that particular meter.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JR Overseas must have an eBay presence then...cause I am pretty sure I saw one on eBay listed as NEW..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
No, not legitimately. JR Overseas has the exclusive rights to the Electrophysics meters here in the US and the CT-33 has to be purchased and shipped from Canada if you want one..

A MM is not an item I would feel comfortable buying used...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
JR Overseas must have an eBay presence then...cause I am pretty sure I saw one on eBay listed as NEW..

There are CT33's listed on ebay but they are from the Electrophysics Canada people.

If a loaner doesn't come through by mid-day I'll probably call up JR Overseas and have one sent out. It'll probably cost me twice as much as one from canada but as has been previously stated all it has to do is weed out one boat from survey to be worth the expense.
Old 03-19-2010

One last reply to close it up.

I called JR Overseas to have one shipped out ASAP. They are out of them and will be until April. However she looked around and came up with a loaner. She is going to send this out to me in Long Beach to use while I'm there. She's even going to take it to the Post Office instead of having UPS pick it up. The Post Office will get it there by Monday (maybe tuesday) for under $15. UPS wanted $70 to air ship it there by Monday.

So for me even though the meter will cost me more in the end I will buy it from JR Overseas in April. She is definitely going out of her way to help me out and I do appreciate that and will spend a little extra for that kind of service.
Old 03-19-2010
Telstar 28

Excellent. I hope you ordered the calibration block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassviking View Post
One last reply to close it up.

I called JR Overseas to have one shipped out ASAP. They are out of them and will be until April. However she looked around and came up with a loaner. She is going to send this out to me in Long Beach to use while I'm there. She's even going to take it to the Post Office instead of having UPS pick it up. The Post Office will get it there by Monday (maybe tuesday) for under $15. UPS wanted $70 to air ship it there by Monday.

So for me even though the meter will cost me more in the end I will buy it from JR Overseas in April. She is definitely going out of her way to help me out and I do appreciate that and will spend a little extra for that kind of service.

Telstar 28
New England