Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Cal20 v C&C24 v Grampian 23

Thoughts on the above three boats? The Cal and Grampian are similar prices, the C&C is a couple of thousand more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The C&C 24 (assuming the "niagara" model - no relationship to the Niagara line) is a nice boat, fairly beamy and decent volume for it's size, and typical of C&Cs of that era (is it yellow, by any chance?)

Not familiar with the G23 specifically but I know the G26 sails well and has good interior space. Pretty rugged boats as a rule so I'd expect the 23 to be along the same lines. Generally not the prettiest girls at the dance (IMO)

Either of the above are going to give you a lot more boat than the Cal 20 - both volume and performance-wise - but a higher moorage bill too. No denying the Cal's history and robustness, plus you get the benefit of a strong class and lots of support/owners around.

I think the C&C would be the better choice, all other issues (exc price) being equal

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
For good reason... Of the three the C&C is probably the best one to get, but it really depends on your usage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-24-2010

Here's the ads:
GRAMPION SAILBOAT MUST SELL!! Esquimalt & View Royal, Victoria
Cal 20 For Sale
1979 C&C 24

There's also a quite nice looking San Juan 24 which I could probably get for the same money as the C&C.

Old 03-24-2010

And to throw something different into the mix, just about in budget if I can knock quite a bit off 1981 EDEL 665, 22' - Winner of "Boat of the Year" - $7,250 (TRY YOUR OFFER!) Oak Bay, Victoria

Old 03-24-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The C&C may have no holding tank, judging by the description. I am always wary of no pics in an ad. The Cal 20 comes with a dinghy and is the cheapest.
A former freshwater C&C is a good choice and the price is right, but i think the Cal represents better value. You can't really lose anything at that price, and reading between the lines, your budget would purchase the C&C, but you would have no money left for repairs and upgrades, right?

Edels and gramp 23s are boats that have never appealed to me- they are just goofy looking boats, accidentally ugly. Now, a Tanzer or a cal? They are ugly on purpose! flush deck = more interior space.
Old 03-24-2010

The C&C owner sent me a couple of photos, and I've seen it in the flesh (from underneath anyway) too. It's been sat over winter and the owner is there over the next few days de-winterising it and giving it a lick of paint so hopefully will brush up nicely. It's certainly at the top end of the budget (not that there's a set budget as such) so wouldn't be anything in the kitty short-term, but then it's my first boat and don't really have any plans to upgrade it so as long as it's solid then it's fine.
The Cal is certainly going to be the cheapest to buy and run, I'm just worried that I'll outgrow it too quickly and next season will already be looking to replace it. Could happen with any boat though I guess. The Gramp, well, she isn't pretty. but they have good reputations for build quality and it looks like the owner has taken good care of it.
The Edel looks OK in the flesh, price is out of the budget at the moment, but then it is absolutely loaded with new or almost new kit.
Ideally I'd like something like a Tanzer 22, built like a tank, good below decks and a massive cockpit (which is where I'd be spending most of the time anyway), but there's none for sale round here.
Oh I don't know, will probably end up having to spend the money on something else anyway but a man can dream.

Of course this is all mostly as a result of the skipper of the race boat having a change of plans/lifestyle so no longer going out on it. I'm forgetting what water is like!

Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, how does a flush deck, with no doghouse, equal more interior space????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
The C&C may have no holding tank, judging by the description. I am always wary of no pics in an ad. The Cal 20 comes with a dinghy and is the cheapest.
A former freshwater C&C is a good choice and the price is right, but i think the Cal represents better value. You can't really lose anything at that price, and reading between the lines, your budget would purchase the C&C, but you would have no money left for repairs and upgrades, right?

Edels and gramp 23s are boats that have never appealed to me- they are just goofy looking boats, accidentally ugly. Now, a Tanzer or a cal? They are ugly on purpose! flush deck = more interior space.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
There's also a quite nice looking San Juan 24 which I could probably get for the same money as the C&C.
Paul
The SJ24 is a decent boat but the cockpit's quite narrow, the coamings narrow too and as a result there's not a really comfortable hiking position that you can steer from.

The C&C would be much better ergonomically.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-25-2010

Yep, it's a nice looking boat but maybe a bit too race focussed, I hear they can be a bit of a handful downwind?
I think it'll probably be between the C&C and the Cal, but will go take a look at the Gramp just because I reckon it never does any harm to look at boats. A lot cheaper than buying them, that's for sure.