Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010
Banned

harryftuttle is on a distinguished road
this boat is huge but its more money than i have now. if he could take less i could borrow some money from my sister

1971 irwin 38 sailboat

i could take somethinkg like this anywhere. like in catain ron. lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
A 'deal' is tied to the work and $ youll have to sink into the thing. If you plan on extended stays, size might be a consideration... anything under 27' means a lot of hunching. For the me 30' worked out just right with 6'4 headroom for one guy and occasional guests I managed to get a pretty good deal, what i found is that the marina had boats they had taken out of receivership... so were motivated. they wanted 5k, so i offered them either a lowball cash bid or a deal... the deal we worked was 2500 down, 500/mo for 6 mo during which time no slip rental/no elec bill... so it ended up working out to about 4000 all said and done.

that being said, i need a new stove 429. needed new running=hundreds.needed/wanted computer/tv/new stereo= hundreds.etc.

the other thing to consider is how much work you can/want to put in. i had to totally tune up the a4, which included 12hrs with a qtip cleaning and rebuildingthe carb. ive rebuilt the cabin, new cabinets and finish work, and the galley is next. i rebeded all the ports. the whole thing needs rewired and surely a bottom job.

the only deal in boats is that you are gonna be dealing cash out of your wallet. and dont bother to close it, but if your handy and willing--go for it, i wouldnt trade it for anything. considering similarly sized boats i saw were going for 10k+, part of the deal i got was knowing that the 4 i laid out was to be followed by significantly more, and built it in to my plan.

oh, it also helps if you make pals with the marina yacht broker. mine helps me constantly, and even lets me beg parts. marina mechs arent cheap at 80 and hour, and that adds up. think about pals you have that have the expertise in specific areas (ie my buddy works on big trucks... all dc12) AND BRIBE THEM WITH BEER!

good luck and have fun.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're having financial issues just to buy that boat, you certainly can't afford to OWN THAT BOAT. Even if it were in pristine, bristol shape, and IT ISN'T, you would still have to pay the taxes, insurance, mooring and registration fees on it.

BTW, if they are saying the boat needs a lot of work, then it is very likely a complete wreck... very few people are capable of describing a boat they are selling in anything close to accurate terms.

Do you have any skills that might be applicable to restoring or working on a sailboat? Do you have the ability to do fiberglass repairs? Electrical work? Plumbing? Diesel engine work? Rigging? Woodwork? Painting and varnishing? These are all areas that you will need to learn, unless you are extremely wealthy and can afford to have the work done for you.

I am fortunate that I have many of these skills and do almost all the work on my boat myself. I've added a bridgedeck, modified the rigging, repaired damage to the ama deck, re-plumbed the head, re-built a saildrive leg, re-wired the electrical system, re-cored a deck, etc... on my boat as well as those of my friends. This spring, I'll be re-bedding a keel once again for a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryftuttle View Post
this boat is huge but its more money than i have now. if he could take less i could borrow some money from my sister

1971 irwin 38 sailboat

i could take somethinkg like this anywhere. like in catain ron. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-24-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2010
Banned

now you all have me thinking. mostly everythign i know i learned on xbox lol but that probably wont help fix a hole in a boat. i am definitly not rich so that idea is out. this sucks becuase i was hoping to be living on the boat free and clear soon. i need to think about this more because i definitly dont want to sink my boat.
Old 03-24-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Anyone know if xbox doles out ASA certs?

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 03-24-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
now you all have me thinking. this sucks becuase i was hoping to be living on the boat free and clear soon. i need to think about this more
Sounds like you are begging to see the light.

I have to say one more thing to everybody (at your expense); this is the reason that we have too many restrictions and too many regulations on anchoring. Somebody wants to be "living on the boat free and clear", but they don't realize the responsibility or the consequences if something were to happen; like causing a navigational or environmental hazard. Perfect example in my opinion of why living on the hook in not allowed in many places.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Your real problem is that you really have no clue what living on a boat or owning a boat entails. You see it as an easy, relatively low-cost way to live on the water, but it really isn't. There are a lot of dangers that can take the ignorant by surprise.

I'd point out that if you did by some miracle buy an inexpensive boat and start living aboard it, there are a lot of things that could make it end up being very expensive for you. For instance, if you need to get work done to the boat, that often requires the boat to be hauled, and many marinas won't allow you to live aboard while the boat is out of the water. If the boat sinks, you would be responsible for the environmental remediation if your boat's fuel tank leaks into the water. That can cost you up to $800,0000. I am willing to bet you didn't know that.

Quote:
now you all have me thinking. mostly everythign i know i learned on xbox lol but that probably wont help fix a hole in a boat. i am definitly not rich so that idea is out. this sucks becuase i was hoping to be living on the boat free and clear soon. i need to think about this more because i definitly dont want to sink my boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-24-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
regarding the Irwin " this sail boat needs alot of work and is at this time in a self repair yard".
My 1985 42' boat was rated "Above Average Condition" by the surveyor. I've spent about $20,000 in repairs & upgrades, doing most of the work myself.

That irwin will probably cost you $40,000 to $60,000 if you are handy and have the time to bring it up to snuff. For a boat that is worth $50,000 in good shape.

There is a very good reason boats are called "A hole in the water you pour money into"

The engine & trans are probably shot, the sails too. Most of the hoses will need replacing along with several seacocks ($300 each). Probably needs new batteries and some wiring. 1/0 marine grade battery cable is AT LEAST $4.00/ft for the bargain stuff.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2010
Banned

i been lookin at some more boats. this one says good for beginner and it has all the stuff already done.

HUNTER 25 CLEAN ,GREAT BEGINNER BOAT SAVE ON LOW PRICE : eBay Motors (item 200454171577 end time Mar-31-10 20:29:11 PDT)
Old 03-25-2010
Telstar 28

Buying a boat on eBay, sight unseen is generally a really bad idea. Most of the boats on eBay are sold AS IS, without the option of a survey or sea trial. Most of the people selling boats will describe their boats in the most favorable terms, if not outright lie.... so taking their word for the boat having all the stuff done is rather naive, if not stupid.

If you're really serious about finding a boat... walk the docks and boatyards near you. Read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether any boats you look at are even worth going forward on. If you don't have the skills or knowledge to use the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread information, you really shouldn't be looking for a boat.

Telstar 28
New England