Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
harryftuttle, speaking as a Bristol Corsair owner, I "watched" that boat you were looking at on eBay. The boat was listed, sold for around $225.00, and then has been relisted. The seller is a "charity" foundation with Better Business Bureau complaints and an interest in collecting their processing fee, regardless of whether or not you end up with a boat. And is not unusual to see them have an item list, sell, then relist and resell. That someone boat that boat for less than $250 and then rejected it should tell you something.
And as others are suggesting, boats are not a cheap endeavor. You should become accustomed to the notion of "boat bucks"... $100 increments for everything... and everything will cost multiple boat bucks at every turn.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryftuttle View Post
now you all have me thinking. mostly everythign i know i learned on xbox lol but that probably wont help fix a hole in a boat. i am definitly not rich so that idea is out. this sucks becuase i was hoping to be living on the boat free and clear soon. i need to think about this more because i definitly dont want to sink my boat.
So you have a dream, Harry. Keep it and don't lose it. Keep looking at boats and work to get yourself to the place where you can not only afford to buy but maintain a boat.

I'd also recommend "The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat". I just finished reading it. It has some good wisdom about the practicalities of living aboard, and he isn't talking about a new yacht either.

So, keep the dream and come up with a plan.

Boat Cost: $Budget
Maintenance: $Budget
Moorage: $budget

Now work towards that. It will just take time to get there.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
Harry, what they are saying is true, they are putting it a little raw to ya. I started out years ago like you, and a bought a 1979 24 ft. San Juan in ft. myers beach, FL. I lived on it for almost 4 years, and rode out hurricane charley on it. I gave the boat away, and bought a 1966 columbia 28ft for $1.00, and gutted it, and put all new wood in her. Did the work myself with a friend, and it turned out to be a nice boat that cost around $3,500.00. I then got a 28ft grampian, and lived on it for awhile. Anyways I just bought a 35ft 1967 Alberg Ericson, for $9,400.00. which I know in the end will cost me around $30,000.00 when we are done with it. Sailboat stands for Break out another $1000.00. My suggestion to you is to go get a job, save up for a few years, and get somthing around 30ft if it's for yourself, or even a 28ft. the smaller the sailboat the less money to dock it, and to fix it. If you want to find some deals on sailboats get out of E-bay, and look on Goodoldboat.com. No Old sailboat is perfect, and the days of Anchoring for free in Florida, are gone forever, you have to hook up to a ball. Try Marathon Key, FL you can anchor their, and use the showers, and pump outs for $145.00 a month, or a get a ball for $245.00 a month. get a job in Miami, and rebuild your boat on your time off. If you need some help or suggestions e-mail me at Capt13@inbox.com I will give you some advice or help you out if I can. P.S. To live comfortable on a Boat it needs, solar panels, a Wind Generator, A Honda 2000 Generator, AC, and heat. A battery Bank to handle it all, And that Alone Costs alot of Cash! Oh yeah, and don't forget the Dingy, and the motor enless you plan on swimming to shore.