Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
She is beautiful in lines and shape and with a pedigree. The photo in your first post does not even make it obviously apparent that she's a woody at all. As fair a hull could be for a wooden full keeler.
Don't give up your Hartley so fast though. You just might enjoy owning the two different boats for a stretch especially if one of them has a very small 'honey-do' list.
Thanks, Caleb - the hull was splined by the PO late last year, but he didn't live long enough to enjoy it.

I'll take your advice about the two-boat thing and, given that she's a woody, we'll see what happens later in the year when I get broke and desperate. Should take, what, a month or two?!?
Old 03-26-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
I figure everyone should own a wooden boat at least once in their life...
I'm sure there was a reason for that, but I've forgotten what it was!

.. Then, of course, there are those of us who'd do that more than once.. that really IS crazy!!
Crazy? Crazy? CRAZY?!? I'll show you crazy: I've owned nothing but wooden boats. I wooden't have any other kind. I've had ten of them, I still have six. And I assure you, there's nothing wrong with me. (lalalalala)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If you have not been told "You bought an old SHOE!" let me be the first!

YOU BOUGHT AN OLD SHOE?!?!?!?!?!?!

It is a nice looking old shoe none the less. More cruisie than the hartley!

Enjoy her
Marty
Old 03-26-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Great looking boat...very Alberg-ish. I love the long keel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Hartley18,
I love your new boat!!
Old 03-28-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Thanks, guys!

More pics to come..
Old 03-29-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
Cameron,

Looks great and a fantastic piece of Aussie history.

Now think of all the Wooden Boat Regatta's you have to attend to allow the rest of us to appreciate history without the cost of maintaining it!!! :-)

Are you going to leave this in the pen or take the swing?

Nice to hear from someone down under also.

Being Melbourne based too I have some difficulty with the translation of various boats found on this site.

Cheers
Old 03-31-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenif View Post
Cameron,

Looks great and a fantastic piece of Aussie history.

Now think of all the Wooden Boat Regatta's you have to attend to allow the rest of us to appreciate history without the cost of maintaining it!!! :-)
Thanks, Ken. I'm amazed at how many people I know within the sailing fraternity that know something about this boat - either having raced against her or having known the PO.. it's scary really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenif View Post
Are you going to leave this in the pen or take the swing?

Nice to hear from someone down under also.
I'll leave it in the pen if the Club will let me - if you know anything about Port Phillip, you'll know the pen is probably worth more than the boat!!

If you're ever feeling inclined to help out, PM me. She's berthed at RYCV in Williamstown, but has been neglected for a bit and there is a lot of work to do!

Last edited by Classic30; 03-31-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Taking her out over the weekend C ? You should. I remember the first weekend we had Raven. Great long list of things to do but we just said bugger it and took off for a couple of days.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-31-2010
Once known as Hartley18

I know we should and the PO is expecting us to, but actually, we're not. Jen's family have other things planned for us on Sunday and Monday (a niece's birthday of all things), but the biggest hang-up is I have no idea how much fuel is left in the tank!

The bronze filler has a 1/4" x 3/4" slot in it and I know the key is on board someplace, but haven't managed to find it. I suspect it's fallen down the bottom of one of the galley lockers when I was tidying up the other day. The blasted cap is on real tight for some reason and, being bronze, any attempt to open the filler to shove the dipstick in (a nice carved and graduated wooden one!) and top up the tank with anything not an exact fit just chips the edges of the slot. Bugger..

The nicest day is supposed to be Sunday, but I'll try to convince J to go down there on Saturday even just to have lunch and sit on the boat for a bit..