Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JankyJ View Post
......snip.....I guess the question is this: is this mast dangerous?........
Danger, danger, Will Robinson.

Stay rational. Because you even asked this questions makes it seem that you have some emotional attachment to buying this boat. Maybe you were getting excited about the bargain. Be very careful, you have found a major red flag, particularly since you had to figure this out on your own.

For me, that's a mandatory mast replacement, which cost is fully factored into my offer. Remember, you will have to sell her to someone else one day. I would also be sure that she was surveyed carefully to be sure this was just a unique accident and not representative of general carelessness.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
That is an insane amount of damage. I would never use that mast on a boat I owned and would not even ride on a boat with that damage. I know it may seem I'm over stating it here but, really, that mast is toast.

To another point. Who told you the holes were for lightening the mast? Now ask yourself *why* they told you that.

The first may inform motive. The second answer might confirm it.

As someone else said, run or...offer on the boat less the cost of a new (installed) mast.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjenner View Post
That is an insane amount of damage. I would never use that mast on a boat I owned and would not even ride on a boat with that damage. I know it may seem I'm over stating it here but, really, that mast is toast.

To another point. Who told you the holes were for lightening the mast? Now ask yourself *why* they told you that.

The first may inform motive. The second answer might confirm it.

As someone else said, run or...offer on the boat less the cost of a new (installed) mast.
I was thinking the same thing about the ethics involved here. I realize that the prevailing rule is "buyer beware," but there are limits, and making up a story to cover up a potentially life-threatening failure is stepping over the line. This sounds like a guy you simply don't want to do business with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-31-2010

JankyJ is on a distinguished road
I think I pretty much decided what to do when I realized what caused the damage. I just always value a second, third, fourth, or even fifth opinion. So thank you all!

I have diverted myself away from looking at this for the boat. I am pretty sure that a new mast would be outside my price range, and with all the scouring I have done, I have turned up very little on this boat. I am tempted to make an offer though. Forget the boat, I am actually tempted for the trailer.

Trailers for 22 footers are hard to find around here, and almost every boat that size is slipped with no trailer. This brings up a problem though. If I did offer and ended up with the whole thing, I would have to get rid of the hull and mast. I would probably strip hardware off the mast and recycle the spar, but whatever to do about a boat hull that is near impossible to find parts for? So really it may not even be worth bothering with.

I will see what I come up with, but as for now, the search goes on... And I REALLY want to get back on the water this summer.
Old 03-31-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
If you really are an Aluminum Welder...It would not be that big of deal to find and retrofit another mast to the boat using your boom...one slightly longer is easily trimmed to proper length..and should need very little rigging changes that way.....just saying...more then one way to skin a cat.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-31-2010

Modding another mast to fit the boat wouldn't be so much of a problem. Finding another mast is a whole other story. Here in the Heartland, we really don't have that many boats around. So finding a mast of approximately correct size, fairly locally and for a reasonable cost is the challenge here...
Old 04-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If he's lying about what happened to the mast and whether it is safe to use or not, and that mast is a death trap waiting to kill someone... what else is he lying about.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I wonder if this guy is planning to continue his liability insurance on the boat after he has sold it.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 04-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If this were a wooden mast, I'd say that a woodpecker got its mad out on it... but it's aluminum, and I can't think of any possible reason for drilling over twenty holes in the mast like that.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2010

Sailingdog:
The holes weren't drilled. They are actually melted through the mast. My best guess puts it as being by cutting torch slag dropping on it while cutting through a piece of steel. The scar in the top of that picture that is surrounded by the gold area is where the slag came in contact with the mast and rolled off. The same damage happens on a thinner steel plate below a thick one when you cut it. On aluminum though, it is much easier for the slag to melt through the mast.

Everyone:
As for the current owner, I don't know if he knows what caused the damage or not. I admit he has not been 100% honest with me. I think he bought the boat intending to do some work on it, and found that with low hull production numbers that he too would have a problem replacing the mast, whether he bought it that way, or if he had it when the damage occurred.

The rest of the boat looks fine. I didn't unroll the sails, but the parts that I saw made me believe that they don't have massive amounts of damage done to them. The hull is sound everywhere I checked and the deck did not give way underfoot. The interior is pulled, and he does not have the stainless hardware to mount it back but all the wood pieces seem to be there.

Yes, he seemed quite nervous when I talked to him about the holes in the mast. Whether or not he is nervous to make a sell or get it out of his hands I don't know. But, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and I am assuming that he does not know the dangerous conditions that would arise upon stepping the mast and setting sail.

I have decided to not offer on the boat. I will contact the owner to let him know that I am not offering. I will also assume that he does not know the danger, and I will explain it to him. I will ask him that if he continues to list the boat, that he lists it as a project boat in need of a mast because this one is toast. And I figured that I would tell him that if he wants to get rid of it dirt cheap, I would be glad to take it for a small amount, seeing as how the boat is useless with out the mast and the mast is garbage. To prove my sincerity and let him know that I am not trying to rip him off, I plan on offering to bring a chop saw at pick up and cut the mast in half in front of him should he decide to cut losses and let it go.

I think that would be the best thing for this boat, shred the mast and sell it as a project dirt cheap. That is my opinion though and other opinions differ.

So I guess my search for a boat continues...