Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010

kryzakw is on a distinguished road
Just about ready to buy a 1990 Pearson 33

I have an offer out on a Pearson 33 that looks to be in really good condition.. she is a 1990, has a few issues, but seems to be overall in excellent shape.. i shot a bunch of photos and posted them below..

Picasa Web Albums - Bill - Pearson 33

if anyone feels like doing a photo survey and point out something i may have missed i'd be greatly appreciative... or even point out what i should have the surveyor focus on.. we are scheduled for the survey this tuesday..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started as it will give you an idea of what condition the boat is really in.

The staining on the cushions in photo 9—where did the water come from?

What are the clear reinforced hoses in photos 14-16 for?

What is causing the discolored wood in photo 19?

Lots of mold in photo 26, 31, 32.

Water leak by the light in photo 33.

Why is there so much surface rust on the compression post base in photo 34.

Definite stress cracks leading to the cleat in photo 54. Is the deck soft there?

The mast groove doesn't look straight near the top quarter in photo 55/56.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-28-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2010

The staining on the cushions in photo 9—where did the water come from?... i searched for the water ingress and it seems to be coming from the pedestal or the emergency tiller port...

What are the clear reinforced hoses in photos 14-16 for? Clear hoses, the one is water intake for the engine, the other is actually the house water pump.. i'm surprised pearson put the house water in the engine compartment.. the heat wont be kind to any fresh water hose in there... but the engine intake hose definitely needs to be replaced, in fact all the engine hoses need replacing..

What is causing the discolored wood in photo 19? 19-20 appears to be a chemical stain on the wood.. as if a cleaning agent leaked and stained the wood..

Lots of mold in photo 26, 31, 32. the mold really bothers me.. is it wet from throwing wet gear in there or is there a leak above it? i couldn't find a leak, but it doesnt mean its not there.

Water leak by the light in photo 33. water leak in this photo is from the lifeline stand.. i believe all the decking hardware needs to be rebedded.

Why is there so much surface rust on the compression post base in photo 34. this bothers me too... i don't know why water splashing up from the bilge while at sea?

Definite stress cracks leading to the cleat in photo 54. Is the deck soft there? coring is definitely soft in this area... will need to be injected with resin to repair.

The mast groove doesn't look straight near the top quarter in photo 55/56. yeah.. rigging needs tuning..

one of the things i am trying to figure out here is if these issues should keep me from purchasing.. i took mostly photos of the problem areas so if these are all the problems, then it doesn't seem too bad for a 20 year old boat.. so long as decking isn't soft in more places than around the cleat and the lifeline stand..
Old 08-10-2010

lawrence816 is on a distinguished road
sounds like i bought this boat!

i am exploring this website and came across your post. this sounds like the boat i just bought!....where was the 1990 pearson 33 located that you looked at?...thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 08-23-2010

lawrence816 is on a distinguished road
pearson 33

was the name of the p33 'hye princess'?...where was the p33 located you looked at?
Old 09-06-2010

Yup... Hye Princess.. we were under contract with the boat.. There was a little too much mold in her for me.. the back end was racked slightly, the mast had too much of a bend in it, and there was something off with the engine.. so i pulled my offer. How has she been for you?
Old 09-06-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Small World! Pictures may be worth a thousand words but from what I hear a good surveyor can be priceless. If the boat really attracts you and it is listed at a good price just pay for the professional to come out and give you the details you seek. You obviously have seen what needs to be repaired/replaced and you seem to have a good handle on the sort of work that needs to be done which would correspond to you knowing the prices to do the work as well. If you really like it and don't see any major issues get the survey. good luck!
Old 09-06-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Been there - looked at that

I SAW this boat when it was offered by the owner...

Here are some of the issues that chased me away:
  • #1-The owner was not someone that I cared to do business with.
  • #2-There was a repair to the starboard bow section that I found, and was not pointed out to me (the repair looked OK though).
  • #3-When I went aboard, the batteries were dead, and the bilge was full. Here is a pic taken after I bailed it out with the manual pump; see where the water level was?
  • #4-I started the engine, and it ran so rough (without putting it in gear), that I suspect the motor mounts had damage.
  • #5-The keel bolts were very corroded.

• #6-The wiring for the battery charger, and bilge pump were HOUSEHOLD ROMEX , also there were a bunch of wire nuts (should never be used on a boat) in the bilge.
  • #7-The mast for the radar dome was pulled out of the transom, where it was bolted.

I took a slew of pictures. PM me if you'd like to see more of them.

It seems that the owner used this more as a beach condo than an boat.

Good luck!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 09-06-2010
Learning the HARD way...

Note - ALL of these issues could be addressed (except for the owner). She could be a really fine vessel if they are. I wasn't going to address them on MY dime. The impression that the owner gave me is that was the only way they would be fixed.
Old 09-06-2010
Learning the HARD way...

... also I started a thread on this vessel... since it's sold, there is no harm in sharing the thread here - this explains why I did not want to do business with the owner.