Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010

CaptinRedBeard is on a distinguished road
Comfortable, Fast, 30 feet

Looking to purchase a cruising sailboat with good speed. The boat has to be solid enough to cruise off shore, A wide boat with a good layout for comfortable overnight stays. The boat will be cruising interisland on my days off and will have to be able to make good time so that I'm not stuck on the water when I should be at work. I'll be working on a budget and hope that I can pick something up in working condition around 30k.

what fits these guidlines at 30ft.
Old 03-29-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
To a great extent the terms 'Comfortable', 'wide boat', 'blue water', 'good speed' potential and a tight budget are mutually exclusive. Probably the closest boat that comes to mind would be a Tartan 30. You can buy one of these for around $20K in good shape and then spend the remaining $10K adapting the boat to your needs.

Depending on what you are willing to compromise, boats like the J-28, J-29, J-30, Laser 28 depending on where you live you might also find a Farr 8.1, 9.2 or keel version of the Binks 30, all of which might suit your needs.

Jeff
juggleandhope likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2010

Jeff I will look into these boats. Thanks for the knowledge!
Old 03-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd also point out that generally fast and comfortable are not that compatible... most fast boats aren't comfortable, most comfortable boats aren't fast... especially on a budget.

I'd highly recommend you try and get out on some of the boats that Jeff_H mentioned, so as to get an idea of what you're really looking for in a boat.

Another boat that might fit your criteria is an Iroquois 30 catamaran or a Catalac 8/9M. These are certainly seaworthy little cats, as they came to the US on their own bottoms. They're going to be more comfortable at anchor than a similar LOA monohull and probably a tiny bit faster as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-29-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
You might consider a few models from S2. In particular, look at the 11.0, the 10.3 and the 9.1. All are available for around $30k and reasonably speedy (10.3 the fastest), reasonably well-built, reasonably comfortable, etc.

Old 03-29-2010

sailingdog, my research has confirmed your statement reguarding fast and comfortable which is the main reason for this post. I'm just trying to find the best fit so I can get it right the first time. I'm currently crewing on a 26 ranger (fun little boat) and a Beneteau 44 (an older boat designed for racing). As for cats I have no experience. I'm definatley leaning towards more of a cruiser but a fast one. When it comes to cats is it harder find a slip wide enough? Do the slips usually cost more? In seas 15 foot and bigger are they better or worse than a monohaul?

Kwaltersmi,
Thanks for the info I will look into those boats as well.

P.S. anything larger than 30 feet even by a small amount may not work as the marina's in the area are super strict.
Old 03-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Iroquois would probably work, as it is only 13.5' wide, which means it can fit in many single-width slips... The Catalacs are wider and do have some issues with fitting in a single width slip.

In heavy weather, they handle very differently from monohulls and you have to generally use slightly different tactics. Of course, the best tactic, if you have the sea room to deploy it, is to use a Jordan Series Drogue and hide in the cabin until the weather improves.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-29-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Ericson 32-2 or E-29 (70's), Ericson 30-2 (late 70's), and Ericson 30+ (80's).
All are great Bruce King designs. A 30 has circumnavigated, FWIW.

L
Old 03-29-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The issue I see with some boats, "IF" you are limited to 30' overall, many of the 30' boats listed, will be 30' on deck, and about 31-32' overall in length. SO you may need to look at boats that are listed as 28' boats. Such as the Catalina 28mk 2 which is just shy of 30' overall. My Jeanneau Arcadia is also 29.5' long, altho listed as a 30' boat. The ericson designs mentioned, many are more than 30' overall in length, and you may need to go to one of the 27 or 28' versions too.

Marty
Old 03-29-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
A Beautiful 1978 Tartan 30!

P.S. - Not my boat, just a nice find searching the web.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain