Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010

dub420sailor is on a distinguished road
Talking buying first boat - need advice

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so hopefully I put it in the right place. I am looking at buying my first boat, and I heard about a Lightning for sale in good condition hull, sails, and trailer, but no mast. Apparently current owner snapped it in a regatta. The boat is super cheap, but after looking around for awhile, I haven't been able to find a mast. I know people build these boats all the time, so I thought the masts would be readily available, but where and for how much?

Even if I find a mast, is $500 a good deal for the boat, sails, and trailer? I haven't seen it yet, but all I know is that it is older with fiberglass hull. Everything is of course hypothetical right now, but I want to see if it is a viable purchase assuming that the boat is in good condition.

Thanks,
Andy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
whats the old addage.... if something is too good to be true....
if you go look at it, its obviously not good fiscal policy to get a survey, but i would at least bring an experienced sailor with you to check it out.

good luck, have fun

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 03-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, it isn't a sail boat without the rigging and the mast. Of course, the trailer alone might be worth the $500...so it is worth taking a look at. If the boat is in good shape, then you're probably home free... good luck, but as Quickmick said, take an experienced sailor with you if you are friends with one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog is onto something. when you inspect it, make note of the winches/deck hardware/etc. then check ebay for going prices. combined with the trailer you may be able to get the thing, with time/tool/sweat/and bloody knuckles part it out for a decent return on your outlay, and parlay that into a boat with mast intact.... just a thought

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 03-29-2010
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Another thought

Lightnings are nice boats. Keep in mind, though, that if he lost his mast, the po may well have done damage to the standing rigging at the same time, which could be a much bigger deal than simply replacing the mast.

Kurt
Old 03-29-2010
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Need parts?

Here's a link to Lightning parts. Don't know if Nickels is the only current builder ... poke around.

https://www.fpcmall.com/store/nickel...art/index.html

Kurt
Old 03-29-2010

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great advice. I still haven't found the mast, but the rigging/shrouds look pretty pricey. After I go see it, I will post some pictures. If anyone sees a lightning mast for sale please let me know! It's doubtful that I will make this purchase, but it seems like one to keep my eye on since I found it through a reliable source (not Craigslist).

Thanks,
Andy
Old 03-29-2010

peikenberry is on a distinguished road
You might want to check with the Lightning Class Association Welcome to the International Lightning Class They might have sources or know of used masts.

My Boating Safety Blog

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!
Old 03-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The OP didn't mention rigging of any sort, so I'm guessing the standing and running rigging need to be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Lightnings are nice boats. Keep in mind, though, that if he lost his mast, the po may well have done damage to the standing rigging at the same time, which could be a much bigger deal than simply replacing the mast.

Kurt

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2010

Just talked to the owner, apparently the boat was just redone. Mast is still with it. I am bringing my friend that knows alot more than I do about boat buying to take a look soon. My main concern is the standing rigging. I guess I will find out soon. Anyone know how much that costs on a lightning?

I found new masts for $700 machined and unrigged at Nichols. Don't quote me, but I believe that was the price.

Thanks so much,
Andy