Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010
Cape Cod

lasernautique is on a distinguished road
Boat Recommedations Trailerable Daysailor Primarily ~22'

OK, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for in terms of requirements / attributes. Just need to translate this into specific suggestions.

First of all, I'm located in Cape Cod, MA near the "elbow." The boat needs to be easily trailerable so I can dump it into either Cape Cod Bay (a large body of water) or Pleasant Bay. I would plan on local towing with my Chevy Tahoe. It must have an easy way of raising mast single handedly. I think it needs to have a shoal draft 2' or less because of shallow waters at low tide in Pleasant Bay and in order to launch off moderately-sloped trailer ramps.

Boat will be primarily used for daysailing with inexperienced crew. So I'd like a large cockpit and smaller cabin. Cabin should have capability to house head even if a portable. It would be nice if cabin could sleep 2. Sink, stove top, etc unnecessary.

Need to be able to sail her single handedly, if necessary.

Boat should be low maintenance. Would prefer cabin that can be hosed down if possible -- in any event, the less fabric and headliner, the better. Don't care much about aesthetics of cabin.

Would prefer well-made boat with limited possibility of water logging of any cored panels. Boat should be able to handle coastal waters with aplomb (if, for example I wanted to sail from Cape Cod Bay to Boston).

Ideally, boat would be faster than average, able to point well but not at expense of loss of too much stability (given use with inexperienced crew).

Boat would need an outboard to power out of Cape Cod Bay harbor channels at low tide and to get into "deeper waters" of Pleasant Bay.

Oh, and my budget is around $5k - $10k, more or less, for boat, outboard and trailer.

So here's a summarized recap of attributes:

Trailerable, shoal draft, around 22'

Ability to raise mast single-handedly

Large cockpit / smaller cabin with head able to sleep 2 infrequently

Low maintenance / easy cleanup

Well built hull / able to handle coastal waters in moderate conditions

Able to sail single handedly, if necessary

Small outboard capability

Preference towards utility vs aesthetics

Good sailing boat, no slugs please

Although I'm not sure how important this is, my sailing background is somewhat limited with little recent activity. I do own a Laser which I used to sail in the Hudson. I also crewed on J-24s and Sonars out of the New Rochelle area of LI Sound and I did some sailing on larger boats in the Caribbean and did become "bareboat" certified a ways back. But I never explored the market for the type of boat I'm looking for now.

Also, I'm very handy with both mechanicals, wood working and electricals, so I'm not concerned about addressing any repairs in these areas.

Well, TIA, for any recommendations. Pls let me know if I've left any important requirements out of list above.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd highly recommend you get or look at "The Sailor's Book of Small Cruising Sailboats", by Henkel. It covers 360 boats under 27' LOA or so and would be a good resource for you to take a quick look through IMHO.

Compac, S2, Precision, Catalina, Montgomery, and Hunter are among builders who make small cruising boats in the size range you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2010

mstern is on a distinguished road
A few boats come to mind immediately:

Catalina 22 (swing keel model), Oday 22, 222 and 23. All of these boats fit your criteria of size, price and trailerability. I think you will find that you will have to give up some sailing ability to get trailerability. None of the above boats are dogs to sail, but a J-24 will leave any of them behind. Hunter also makes small boats, some equipped with water ballast. Trailering is easier, but you give up even more in sailability.

To raise the mast singlehandedly on any of these boats would be a task beyond me, but I have heard of many who do. It would almost certainly require some type of A-frame assist, which has been described many times on this and other websites.

As for water in the core panels, well, that reminds me of what I was told when I used to live in NYC and I complained about roaches in my apartment: "You rent the roaches, the apartment is free". In other words, it comes with the territory. Virtually all boats have cored decks, and that means that virtually all boats (especially "entry level" boats that are now older) will have some water intrusion. No way around that. Buy a rubber mallet and tap the decks, listening for hollow thwacks that indicate the core has delaminated from the deck. If there is a lot of delamination, walk away. It can be fixed, but on a boat this size, if you aren't going to do it yourself, it doesn't make sense to pay someone a sum equal or more than the value of the boat to fix it.

I think you will find that large cockpits are rare on small boats with cabins. It seems that designers try to fit as much comfort below as possible, which leads to larger cabins and therefore smaller cockpits. The boats above strike a nice balance, but the cockpits are shorter than you might like. Four adults fit comfortably, but have to move around when changing tack. Six is really too many.

If you decide to look at true daysailers (no cabin), some tried and true models are the Rhodes 17 and the Oday Daysailer. The cockpits on both of those boats are about equal in length to the Catalina and Odays above.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
Old 03-30-2010

t22cayuga is on a distinguished road
Look for a swing-keel Tanzer 22. There should be several available under $5k in eastern Mass. We had the fixed keel version for many years on Hingham bay and really liked the boat for the sort of use you're talking about. We didn't do much trailering. I think they are a little funny-looking, but they sail well and are much more boat (and faster) that many of the other boats of this vintage in the size range. The cockpit is significantly larger than the one on my current 28 foot boat. I upgraded mine with modern controls (traveler, adjustable backstay, cunningham, outhaul, etc.), put reasonably nice sails on it and raced it very successfully at the club level. See Tanzer 22 Maintenance and Cruising and the yahoo tanzer22 group for more information that you will ever need. There is one significant maintenance headache associated with the swing keel version. The keel (and housing) are cast iron. You need to maintain the epoxy coating or they rust and can get stuck. There is a not a lot else that goes wrong with these. The hulls are not cored (decks are). Raising the mast single handed can be done (see the yahoo group for explicit details). It's a telephone pole of a mast though, (heavy, inflexible) and I alway raised and lowered with two helpers.
Old 03-31-2010

xsboats is on a distinguished road
If the cabin is not a major need for you, then I would check into the new Jim Brown designed 20ft Seaclipper trimaran. If you absolutely need a small cabin, then John Marples will be releasing the design for a 24ft Seaclipper this summer. Both promise to be fast, stable, trailerable, and with a beachcat rig, easy to rig and launch.
Old 03-31-2010

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Let make a very specific recommendation. Buy my 2001 Catalina 22 MK II swing keel boat. Go to boat search at top left of the screen and do a search. It's listed, is in great shape and will do most of the things you want (I'm selling because I have two sailboats). I'll be glad to answer any questions via private email (through the listing contacts)
Old 04-01-2010
Cape Cod

lasernautique is on a distinguished road
Thanks for info. I'll check out the book too, sailing dog, but I'm now thinking that anything designed for cruising will not work because there will be too much emphasis on the cabin/cabin amenities.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to stick to the large cockpit requirement. I really don 't want a pocket cruising boat. It's much more important to have ample room for day sailing than to have sleepover capacity. So I guess what I'd really like is a Sonar with a shoal keel -- too bad this doesn't exist. Maybe I should look at catboat designs too although I have no idea how these things sail . . .
Old 04-02-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
A bit smaller than you asked for, but the centerboard version fo the Oday Mariner is worth considering. Basically a cuddy cabin version of the very nice sailing Rhodes 19. Actually if you are going to trailer all the time, a slightly smaller boat will be lot easier to launch and set up.
Old 04-02-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I think the S2 22' S2 6.9 Home Page is an excellent choice for all requirements, except I am not sure about raising the mast alone...
Old 04-02-2010
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Raising and lowering the mast single handed should not be a problem on any boat of the size you're talking about. It is just a matter of properly rigging the gear to do it. I regularly raise or lower the mast on my 26 footer, by myself, without the aid of any off boat mechanisms in 30 to 45 minutes. As mentioned earlier, rigging has been mentioned in many other threads. I made a crude drawing of mine at stepping(raising) mast w/o crane.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy