Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010

lrak is on a distinguished road
Australian Cruising Catamaran Advice Needed.

Hi All

My father is looking to purchase a Cruising Catamaran towards the end of the year - I must confess I know very little about models of cat's but am aware of some of the larger brands:

He intends to do a lot of coastal sailing and the concept of a cat appeals as he is able to pull up onto a beach - where suitable - and the small draft allowing him to explore some of the river systems etc.

What I am hoping to learn is a list of suitable popular Aussie Cats - he is in Queensland - so that I am able to research the various makes and also narrow the search down.

My preference is for production cats, under $200k, suitable for this...

Any pointers greatly appreciated

K
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Irak,
I reckon you should head on over to Yachthub and search what they have on offer and then come back with a few possibilities. Most of the people here are Americans who'd have little knowledge of Oz built craft. Asking them to compile a list for you is likely to produce a bunch of boats that are simply not available on the Oz market.
If you nominate a few possibilites I'm sure you'll at least get a few comments on your choices.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 03-31-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How big a cruising cat are you looking for, and are you looking to purchase new or used? Most catamarans over 35' LOA are going to be more than your budget, even used.

One common production catamaran from Oz that is found even in the US is the Seawind line of catamarans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.