Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
And some of that build quality translates through the years to longeveity of the boat, but when buying a 20-30 year old boat it all depends on how the boat was taken care of. The CS I looked at certainly did not look like yours under the sole. It was a wreck. As many have posted on here before you need to get a good surveyor...and a thorough survey.
Exactly why I said... (see quote below ) I would always try and buy the best maintained boat you can find regardless of construction details unless those details were big detractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

All that being said the C&C is a great high quality boat, as is the Merlin, so I would base any assessment on current condition & maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We are currently undergoing the same analysis as we are looking for our final boat as retirement is comming in 5 years and we want to cruise to the Bahamas regularly. Speed is no longer the driving force it was 15 years ago, but I dont want a total barge either. We have narrowed our short list down to late 80s early 90s 45.5 Baltic, 44 Hylas, Tayana 42 and 43 Hans Christian Christina. We have looked at some already, but are looking for one which is in as good a condition as the C&C we bought 15 years ago.

That is really the deternmining factor, once you narrow it down to 3 or 4 designs.

Dave
I really like the Baltics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-03-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Electrophysics CT33...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
I would consider the Baltic or the Hylas; eliminate the Tayana and HC unless you want a boat that is much heavier displacement and not nearly as nimble as your C&C.

What type of moisture meter were you using Maine Sail?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Again; moisture meters need to be used in a very specific way to determine hull moisture below the waterline. I'm quoting a marine survey website (Marine Survey FAQ Dixieland Marine )please review.

Quote:
  • We own and use an Electrophysics GRP 33 Marine Moisture meter.
    We probably will not use it on the bottom of the boat during a standard pre-purchase survey (unless it is a dry-stored boat). They are useful to assess moisture intrusion into cored decks, or in wood cored transoms or stringers. Most people, including many surveyors, do not understand the workings of moisture meters or the constraints necessary to achieve a reliable reading on a boats hull.
  • Moisture meters for use on fiberglass hulls are essentially radio transmitters/receivers.
    The measurement actually being made is dielectric constant or AC conductivity, which is affected by type and thickness of bottom paint, trapped water in the paint, thickness of gel coat, thickness of laminate, resin/glass ratio, as well as absorbed water.
  • The "Code of Practice for the Measurement and Analysis of the Wetness of FRP Hulls"* specifies the methods necessary.
    These include:
    1. The hull surface must carefully cleaned.
    2. A large number of random 4" x 4" areas of the hull must have paint or other coating removed down to the gel coat.
    3. The vessel should be out of the water at least 24 hours.
    4. Minimum number of measurements must be = approx. one per sq. meter (3.3 feet) or 50-100 on the average 35-40 foot boat.
    * International Institute of Marine Surveyors (1998) Witherby & Co., London, 17p.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 04-03-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2010

jwreck is on a distinguished road
So I made an offer on the CS. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
good luck

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2010

CatchingUpSlowly is on a distinguished road
This is a pretty interesting thread since last year I was shopping for our first boat ever, and after looking at 40 or so boats we ended up focusing on CS36Ts, Merlins, C&C 35-3's and 38-3's. There were some very well maintained and well-equipped Ts, which would have been my overall choice, but my wife hated the cabin and vetoed the type (sorry, Maine). She liked the Merlins best, but on an apples-to-apples-basis they were 20k more than Ts (in our local market).

So we bought a C&C 38-3 :-) I admit I went nuts scrutinizing the boat, and we had a reputable surveyor go over her thoroughly. Metered dry, percussion tests said dry.

I'm a beginner sailor, so I don't really understand what I've bought, yet. Give me a couple years. I admit I liked, with no good reason for it, that the 38-3 has a proportionately bigger main and smaller foresail that most of the masthead rig boats I was considering.

Good luck on your offer. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I probably can't show this thread to my wife. Don't want her to spend much time thinking about the sleek Merlin interior she's not going to experience.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.