Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010

bellefonte is on a distinguished road
My first shopping trip in Corpus

Well, my wife, son and I met the broker and looked at some boats. I was very excited and it was interesting actually seeing the boats I had heard so much about. Here is what I saw:

31' 1976 Swiss boat that I had never heard of before. THe woodwork was very nice but the interior was cramped. It was modestly equiped.

38' Catalina 2005. We looked at this just to see what was possible with money. Very well equipped and it was so big down below i coulnt believe it. The broker said "yea, you can play basketball down here. However, this is veneer. No telling what shape it will be in in 30 years."

33' 1973 (i think) Cape Dory. It had a lot of wood on deck and had that unique look. The interior was nice, but also somewhat cramped and my wife got a bit motion sick down below and had to make a hasty exit.

There was a 30 something Newport, but I didnt se the point, so we didnt go onboard.

Then we drove to see a 41' boat. When we walked up, i noticed it size and the hard top bimini. I asked him who the builder was and he said Morgan. I was like "ooo I have heard good things about Morgans as far as craftsmanship. We went aboard and I could tell the owner had not kept up maintenance. there were traces of rust on rigging and it needed deck and topside paint. The owner had reputedly bought it to cruise and then never did. He had made some neat mods too. 11 solar panels and a wind generator plus water maker. He had also built in a big map table below that was suspended from the ceiling. It was a center cockpit, so two cabins with a passageway joining them. It was big enough that my wife didnt wantt o barf and over all i liked the layout. The broker said they were built with a thick fiberglass hull he referred to as an icebreaker. Of course, i would not try to ram anything with it. The standing rigging was "external" and when below i noticed the through bolts, so easy to replace and maintain.

Over all, i dont think im ready to buy anything, but it was so cool seeing the different ones. I have to say, the Morgan with her solid construction and cruiseing gear was what spoke to me the most. I liked that boat. I think i would want to modify the bimini to let me see my sails, but other than that, she just needed some work.

While there, we also met a couple who had bought their boat from our broker. It was a 46' Irwin. Beautiful. They had been living on board for a year and were the nicest people. We talked for about 20 minutes and they invited us to go sailing with them. i almost wet myself. Sadly, we were leaving and had to ask them for a rain check. You know I'll be cashing that, given the chance!

I'm hooked now more than ever. I wanna do it some more!

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes

Last edited by bellefonte; 04-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
The boat shopping is much better around Kemah/Clear Lake area. Good luck on your searching.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook