SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

chainplate inspection

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  fiestaMojo 
#1 ·
yeah, it's another chainplate question. . . I searched the threads and only came up with one instance of advice for pulling and inspecting chainplates with the mast up - but this was a keel-stepped mast. My mast is up and deck-stepped; can I safely pull chainplates a pair at a time? (Boat is a 1981 Hunter 33) thanks. . .

#2 ·
If you use the main halyard tied off to the side you are pulling, I also put a line around the spreaders and tied it off also. I would not do it if you are expecting any high winds or any bad weather at all. Why are you pulling them off as a pair and not one at a time? My mast sat that way till I had new ones made, took a week and worked out fine. Good luck and make sure you have a good knot.

#4 ·
Oh, got ya. Sounds like a good plan. Are the chain plates bolted in or glassed in? When you reinstall do a search here for making a bevel and insearting expoxy to protect core if needed, worth the effort. Also use byutal tape to seal the plate in. If bolted in consider replacing the bolts and nuts if they don't look perfect. Make sure the knee or bulkhead has no rot if it does now is the time to fix. Have fun when your done you will have peace of mind.

#5 ·
It depends...while there may be three shrouds per side, the chain plates are often a single fixture. I would do one at a time, and use a halyard to support the mast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.