Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010

Zolmes77 is on a distinguished road
help buying a 27-30

I am new to sailing and wanting to buy a cruiser for my wife and I. She says it has to have a shower and plenty of cabin room. I would like for the two of use to be able to handle it with out killing ourselves. our budget is anything around 10000. any ideas??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2010

GreatWhite is on a distinguished road
the admirals seem to like the very abundant Catalina 27s but I am not a huge fan of them for their so-so build quality and tubby lines..but they seem to get a lot of people sailing so something to consider.

I like the Cal 27... better quality

I also like the C&C 27 except for the gas atomic ...but can be ok if the engine can/will and has been maintained.

Outboard motors are easier if you don't have to worry about fighting big wind and waves (prop can come out of the water.)

SJ 28...roomy and decent too
Old 04-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck with that... most boats <35' do not have a shower. Most older boats do not have a shower. With the budget you have, you're not going to be able to buy a boat with a shower more likely than not.

There are a lot of good boats that you could buy, but it really depends on what kind of sailing you want to do with it. If you're just coastal cruising and day sailing, then any of the older production boats would probably do you well. The more modern designs, like the Pearson, Catalina, Hunter, etc, are going to be more spacious than the older designs like the Albergs, Cape Dorys and such.

Also, most boats in your price range are going to need some work. What skills do you have in terms of boat repair—fiberglassing, plumbing, electrical and mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolmes77 View Post
I am new to sailing and wanting to buy a cruiser for my wife and I. She says it has to have a shower and plenty of cabin room. I would like for the two of use to be able to handle it with out killing ourselves. our budget is anything around 10000. any ideas??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2010

sugarlumpkin is on a distinguished road
Here's a boat shower you can buy for her if you can't get a boat with a shower.
Seattle Sports Camp Shower - 5 Gallon at REI.com

My husband and I are about to buy a (used) cal 27 and it has a shower. And and water heater! However, I still think the one I showed you above is a good choice!
Old 04-10-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
What ever you do don't settle with some cheap built Catalina, Or Hunter, They are the worst sailboat made. I had a friend who had a Catalina, and the mast broke off in 25 knot wind. Don't do it! Go with a Pearson, A Cape Dory, Or something a little more quality. I would Suggest an Old Columbia 28, or a Grampian 28, Just buy a Solar Shower, or install a shower in the cockpit. Happy Sailing!
Old 04-10-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
You should be able to find what you want in a 70’s era boat. How well it’s been maintained is the key. Those who really take care of their boats don’t get that much more than boats that have been neglected. The 70’s had hull blistering so I’d look for boats that don’t have the problem or have been peeled and epoxied.
The Columbia 26’s is well within 10K is roomy for it’s size and had 5’9” headroom. As you get past 27ft you get full 6 ft headroom I like my Cal 29. The Feb ’08 Practical Sailor had an article on their picks for older, 70s era, 30 foot boats. It may be worth the read. Their finalists were the Pearson30, Tartan 30 and Catalina 30. The Catalina is hands down the most roomy and the most boat for the buck. There’s also lots of them around to pick from and a strong class organization.
I’ve used the sun shower suggest and it worked fine. For colder sunless days I has a several gallon sprayer from the hardware store with a telephone shower head on the hose. I boiled a kettle of water, added sold water to the right temp and it worked fine. I’ve also put in a hot water system which requires a pressurized system, heater and extra tankage. More complexity.
Good lick
Old 04-11-2010

CapnA is on a distinguished road
The admiral may not realize it, but a shower on a smaller boat really is not all that pleasant experience. Most smaller boats have somewhat crampted heads, and it can be hard to move around while showering. Additionally, the water heater is usually 6 gallons (or smaller), so the showers need to be quick. Added to this, taking a shower inside of the boat gets water everywhere. A solar shower really is a better choice on a smaller boat.

I would second the recommendation of a Tartan 30. They were well-built, good sailing boats, and some have showers installed. If not, a shower can be retrofitted.
Old 04-11-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt13 View Post
...I had a friend who had a Catalina, and the mast broke off in 25 knot wind...
I'd be interested in hearing the whole story on that one. I have a hard time believing that this would happen on a boat that has been properly surveyed and maintained. Care to share some more facts?

Catalinas are definitely not bluewater boats. But for someone on a budget (like this person clearly is) who wants to stay in protected waters and cares as much about amenities as performance, they can be good boats.

Zolmes77 - What part of the country are you in? Some of us might be able to provide links to specific boats.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 04-11-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
I also like the C&C 27 except for the gas atomic ...but can be ok if the engine can/will and has been maintained.
I would not dismiss a boat just because of an Atomic 4. There are things you need to look at with these engines, but the support knowledge base, and ease of maintenance are impressive. My A4 is 36 years old and runs like a champ.

Gas engines are not evil like many people will have you believe. Run your blower for a few minutes before you start and while the engines are running and you will be fine. I also find the 4 cylinder A4 to run smoother and more quiet than 1 or 2 cylinder diesel.

The best advice I can give you is find a boat with good engine access. On a boat in your price range you will need to do some engine work to keep it in good shape. The easier it is to get to the engine the more likely you are to maintain it.
Old 04-11-2010

Billy654 is on a distinguished road
My wife and I own a Catalina 30 (1980). She has plenty of room. She is easy to sail. She is not the fastest boat on the water but if we were looking for fast we would have bought a power boat. I encourage you to at least give the Catalina a look.