ready to buy, @30' seaworthy project, need ideas for east coast shopping... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010

jordansname is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Ok, while you are in the area, you want a Choey Lee 31, well here's your boat, the tenth in list at http://74.9.33.13/Boat-Sales/

I'd offer $2,500, expect to pay $3,000.
who do i contact? just show up on the campus? that is the boat, or so i hope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
Prices come way down once you get about 10 miles out of Annapolis. I'm just saying that you can get a great deal on a boat right now in the area. Lots of sellers, not so many buyers.
I did stop in annapolis, spent two nights in the van parked down in easport, close to the maritime museum. Great city, great fried oysters, however the cheoy lee I had my I on in annapolis sold a few days before I arrived so i moved on.... did shop a couple yards, saw one i liked, old demasted henkley i think, folks said they were asking 49k, said no thanks and went on my way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"will need good marina for working on boat,"
First you'll need to have it trucked there! Another minor expense to add.
Old 04-11-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordansname View Post
who do i contact? just show up on the campus? that is the boat, or so i hope
Here you go.
Massachusetts Maritime Academy

i believe the boats are stored nearby at Otis Air Force base, see these directions
Boatbuilding.net | MA Maritime Academy Summer Sealed Boat Sale: June 28-29, 2008
You should be able to look at the boat most anytime...
Old 04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"will need good marina for working on boat,"
First you'll need to have it trucked there! Another minor expense to add.
did a little research, seems i could be paying about 300 in trucking fees... what should i plan for financially when the boat arrives at a working yard? lift fees? stand fees? etc... myself being a paraplegic it's ideal i get the boat in a floating slip, then i can crawl/work over and inside the boat. i'm wondering cost wise, when the boat arrives at the marina should i be planning on getting prop, threw holes, and paint all straightened out quickly and have it hauled into water asap.... or should i plan on keeping it on hard for a few months to get this done... basically what i'm thinking is a sequenced plan to save money on lift and haul fees. getting the boat into the water so i can begin doing as much work as possible myself.

Old 04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Here you go.
Massachusetts Maritime Academy

i believe the boats are stored nearby at Otis Air Force base, see these directions
Boatbuilding.net | MA Maritime Academy Summer Sealed Boat Sale: June 28-29, 2008
You should be able to look at the boat most anytime...
Thank you. Sounds like my best bet is to get up there, take a look and find someone to talk with in person. there's an auction in may, but they list the boat with obo prices so maybe they're offered earlier than the auction date. thanks again.

Old 04-11-2010
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
The URI Foundation also sells boats, that would be in Rhode Island

URI Foundation - Boat Donation & Sales Program - Inventory - Sailboats
Old 04-12-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
jordan-
with a "sealed bid" sale that means nothing gets sold before the date of the auction. You put your offer in a sealed envelope and throw it in a box, and on the auction date they open all the envelopes. Highest bid for each boat wins, unless there is a reserve value that hasn't been met, in which case the boat stays unsold.
Bear in mind you are probably buying "as is" and you can take a bath on a used boat if you, or a surveyor, hasn't gone over it in detail.
While accessing a boat on jackstands might be hard for you, any work on the thruhulls, prop, shaft, cutless bearing, bottom paint, all need to be done before the boat is dropped in the water. Yards usually will supply jackstands (and charge for them) and the chaos of spring launching starts soon. After that...rent on the hard should be fairly cheap compared to rent in the water. Launching or hauling will cost each time as well--and until most of the stored boats are launched, scheduling will also be tight. June 29th will put you past that. The MMA *might* be able to make some acomodation with you, i.e. to allow you a short time to make bottom repairs, if needed, after you've paid but before you've taken it away. It can't hurt to ask. And to confirm their auction terms at the same time.
Old 04-12-2010

Capttman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capttman
Salem Ma, up to Newburyport Ma is crowded with boats for sale and Falmouth Maine has many for sale also
Old 04-14-2010

I arrived in buzzards bay today, very beautiful shoreline. Scheduled to view the 31 cheoy lee tomorrow. If not this boat then I continue looking, first this area then up around boston. Does anyone have any yard and/or slip recommendations for this area? I'm buying a project boat, do it yourselfer, want to pay the minimum in fees and hopefully have 24hr access??? I'll post tomorrow after I view the boat. Thanks all!