ready to buy, @30' seaworthy project, need ideas for east coast shopping... - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010

jordansname is on a distinguished road
ready to buy, @30' seaworthy project, need ideas for east coast shopping...

i'm currently traveling up the east coast in a van. been traveling since last august and it's time to move onto the water. i'm shopping in the 3-4k range. wanting a seaworthy hull around 30'. boat needs to be gutted. right now my ideal boat is a 31' cheoy lee offshore sloop. i'll be passing through nyc tomorrow, and then headed for the boston area. what are good locations, or just ideas, for boat shopping between mass and maine. will need good marina for working on boat, reasonable slip fees, plenty of resources for equipping boat. right now i'm hunting craigslist and talking to the yards as i go. any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend sticking in the Buzzards Bay area. There are quite a few good marinas that allow DIY. Lots of sources for gear, good marine vendors, etc. New Bedford/Fairhaven harbor is one of the most protected harbors in the world, due to the New Bedford Hurricane Barrier.

RiggingOnly.com is located in Fairhaven, MA. R&W Rope Warehouse is located in New Bedford, MA. This takes care of your running and standing rigging needs.

Several good vendors for other gear in the area, as well as Schaefer, Edson, etc. are all located nearby. Raymarine is located up in NH, not too far from here. Lots of good areas to explore with the boat, once you've gotten it in sailable shape—Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, the Elizabeth Islands, Buzzards Bay, Newport, Block Island, and Cape Cod are all fairly nearby. Boston Harbor, Cape Cod Bay and Massachusetts Bay are just a short trip through the Cape Cod Canal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2010

any idea on slip fees in buzzards bay area?
Old 04-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordansname View Post
any idea on slip fees in buzzards bay area?
Depends on which town you're in... but moorings run from about $850-1500 for the season. Slips run from $80/ft. if you pre-pay the season and do winter storage with them to over $120/ft.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-10-2010
Telstar 28

Another advantage of this area is there are a lot of sailboats, boat yards and marinas in a relatively small geographic area. So, you may find a pretty good selection of boats to look at.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-11-2010

do monthly rates exist in this area? all i see are the seasonal rates? I'm assuming there's a big jump if the monthly rates do exist?
Old 04-11-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I know that you are already north of here, but Annapolis, MD or any other decent sized city on the Chesapeake will have all the suppliers you need for parts and equipment as well as many, many boats for sale. Annapolis is only half a day's drive from NYC.
________
Depakote Problems

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Ok, while you are in the area, you want a Choey Lee 31, well here's your boat, the tenth in list at http://74.9.33.13/Boat-Sales/

I'd offer $2,500, expect to pay $3,000.
Old 04-11-2010

CocoPutot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
I know that you are already north of here, but Annapolis, MD or any other decent sized city on the Chesapeake will have all the suppliers you need for parts and equipment as well as many, many boats for sale. Annapolis is only half a day's drive from NYC.
The only problem with Annapolis is big $$$ for slips. Of course you can move a little out of the area and prices seem come down. Atleast this is what my research has revealed. I am no expert of the area.
Old 04-11-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPutot View Post
The only problem with Annapolis is big $$$ for slips. Of course you can move a little out of the area and prices seem come down. Atleast this is what my research has revealed. I am no expert of the area.
Prices come way down once you get about 10 miles out of Annapolis. I'm just saying that you can get a great deal on a boat right now in the area. Lots of sellers, not so many buyers.
________
Laguna Bay II Condos Prathumnak

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:26 AM.