Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010

Sailboat101 is on a distinguished road
1984 Catalina 22 vs 1964 Islander Bahama 24

Greetings,

I have recently gotten into sailing and sailboats and wanted to pick up a sailboat to learn on. Due to a limited financial budget, I have a short list of boats that I can choose between. The two boats I am looking into are 1984 Catalina 22 vs 1964 Islander Bahama 24. Both Boats are in similar shape. When examined in person. The Islander is in the water and the MacGregor is sitting in someones barn. I live in Houston, TX so more than likely I will have to navigate them thru the ship channel to get into the gulf.

My question for you is which is a better first boat and what sort of issues have you seen with these boats. Not sure if a Long Keel (Islander) or Swing Keel (Catalina) would be a good starting boat. Do you feel either of these boats can handle a trip into deep waters. I would love to sail to Cancun etc.

I have read all the posts here and the Islander Bahama has gotten fairly decent reviews.

Any and all input would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Sailboat101; 04-21-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Change of Scope
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat101 View Post
Greetings,

I have recently gotten into sailing and sailboats and wanted to pick up a sailboat to learn on. Due to a limited financial budget, I have a short list of boats that I can choose between. The two boats I am looking into are 1969 MacGregor Venture 24 vs 1964 Islander Bahama 24. Both Boats are in similar shape. When examined in person. The Islander is in the water and the MacGregor is sitting in someones barn. I live in Houston, TX so more than likely I will have to navigate them thru the ship channel to get into the gulf.

My question for you is which is a better first boat and what sort of issues have you seen with these boats. Not sure if a Long Keel (Islander) or Swing Keel (Venture) would be a good starting boat.
I have read all the posts here and the Islander Bahama has gotten fairly decent reviews.

Any and all input would be highly appreciated.
Between those two boats, I would definitely recommend the Islander. Have you looked at any Catalina 22s? That might be an even better bet. There are lots out there, and many can be had for very little. With so many boats out there, it makes locating parts or used sails that much easier.
Old 04-12-2010
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
Many, many years ago I went out with a group of people on a Columbia Contender - The company that later became Columbia had built the Islander Bahama for Islander, and the Contender was basically a rip off of it. Anyway, one of the people on board had a Magregor Venture (I don't know if it was the 21 or the 24) and said that the Columbia was a much better boat. I'd assume that the same would hold true for the Islander Bahama.

There are many boats in that size range on the market. You can get a boat in good condition for alot less then buying a beater and fixing it up.
Old 04-13-2010

another option

Another boat that a friend suggested was the Catalina 22. I keep hearing they are fairly light (Thin Hull) and cannot take a lot of rough water would you agree? Now out of these three which one would you choose? 1969 MacGregor Venture vs 1964 Islander Bahama 24 vs mid 70s Catalina 22. I understand a newer boat is better as we are not talking about fine wine. LOL. But the vote for the Islander is higher compare to the Venture even with it being 5 years younger.

At present my plans are to stay inside the gulf but as time passes and I get more seasoned I would like to and plan to stretch my play area. Is a 22 ~ 24 too small to go further out?

Thank you
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailboat101—

Would highly recommend you not hijack this thread and start one of your own. Also recommend you read the POST in my signature, as it has instructions on how to do that among a lot of other things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
The Islander is definately preferable. If the one you're looking at is in any condition at all it can be an excellant little yacht and quite livable.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-21-2010

Sailingdog,

Argh! Read all the way up the thread, I created it. Now with that said I did goof it up by posting my other two questions in the same thread. So I will read your newbie thread and try to fix it.

Thx
Old 04-21-2010

Do you like the Islander 24 over a newer Catalina 22?
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The Islander is definately preferable. If the one you're looking at is in any condition at all it can be an excellant little yacht and quite livable.

FWIW...
Old 04-21-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Frankly I am not familure enough with the Catalina 22 to offer a valid opinion. I am acquainted with Catalina in general, and did have occassion to meet Frank Butler on several occassions and discuss his boats and company, and I do think one gets a lot of boat for the money and generally of better quality than some are prone to imply. As for the Islander, one of my friends had one when I was younger and we covered a lot of ground pottering around SF Bay in the late 60's, which is s tough cruising ground for any small yacht.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I knew you were the OP....but mentioned it because you're far more likely to get catalina 22 specific information in a thread titled that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat101 View Post
Sailingdog,

Argh! Read all the way up the thread, I created it. Now with that said I did goof it up by posting my other two questions in the same thread. So I will read your newbie thread and try to fix it.

Thx

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.