Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Question Rafiki 37 owners out there?

We are seriously considering purchasing a Rafiki 37 (similar to a Tayana 37). I've searched the forums and the Web in general and only found passing references here and there to the boat. There used to be a owners group, but it now appears to be dead.

Any current or past owners here? Any knowledgeable comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interested in:

- Her general sailing characteristics. Will she move in light airs? How high does she point? How easy does she balance?

- Any thoughts on iron tanks. They currently look good, but...

- Storage capacity. There appears to be plenty of tankage volume and lots of easy storage, but what about bulk storage for those long isolated journeys? Extra sails? Inflatable kayaks? 200 cans of peas?

Finally, I've seen reference to cored hulls, particularly with the Rafiki 35. Does anyone know if the 37 is a cored hull? I'd be surprised given its age (mid-late 70s) and its displacement (13+tons).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2010

roundelay is on a distinguished road
Rafiki 37

I am the Owner of Rafiki 37 Hull #1

We have circumnavagated with this boat.There were 55 made and most are on the west coast. They have more storage than 90% of 37 foot boats and have features that are comparable to most 40 footers. They are cored. They do not sail to windward very well, same as most gentlemen. However, they are a very strong and capable cruising boat. The age of these boats means that most have had at least one or two majoor re-fits. The boat you are looking at shoild have newer engine, new wiring, new stainless tanks, new wiring and all new mast, sails and rigging. If not expect to replace soon. They sail best with a monitor windvane. They have weather helm, and to reduce this you must shorten the main boom, increase mast height 5 feet, and add a bow spirit. They will average 100 miles per day in the trades, our daily best was 155 miles.
Old 05-19-2010

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Roundelay. We are now in the final stages of purchasing the boat. The one we are looking at is called Pachina Mia, with HIN: GME370140177, which I interpret at hull# 14. There is an newer engine, and standing rigging, and some wiring (although original panel). I believe the mast and boom are original, but not sure, and there is no bowsprit. There is a stainless water tank, but the diesel are still iron. They have been recently examined and found to be in good shape (whatever that means). It does have an Aries windvane.

I'd love to connect with you and other Rafiki owners. Is there a users group or any sort of online community?
Old 12-22-2011

AliciaLavigne is on a distinguished road
Hi I am the owner of hull #16. I have owned her now for 17 years and have sailed her once and a half around the world. We are currently in New Zealand do a refit. Stripping off my beloved teak deaks now. It is very depressing. But I can answer some of your questions. Hull #1 was very accurate. I just haulout our and we wieghed roughly 14.5 tons 70%loaded. I averaged 138miles per day on a 38 day passage from NZ to Chile. She is a great boat, comfortable, and runs down wind very well. we use a monitor.
Old 12-22-2011

That's funny AliciaLavigne... I just saw your posting on the teak deck repair and immediately sent you a personal message. Very excited to find another Rafiki-37 owner. Thanks for the message.

We did buy Pachina Mia, and are very happy with her. She's a wonderful sea boat; very comfortable and perfect for the two of us. And I agree, she loves a down-wind sail.

Sounds like you're living the life we're working to get to. Are you living on board year round? Love to hear more about your travels, and any other Rafiki tips.
Old 04-08-2012

Davenus is on a distinguished road
Re: Rafiki 37 owners out there?

Just bought a 1977 Rafiki 37. Hull number 20. It was love at first sail. Perfect boat for our water in Hawaii. I would certainly love to hear from other Rafiki owners. Any other owners in Hawaii?
Old 04-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenus View Post
Just bought a 1977 Rafiki 37. Hull number 20. It was love at first sail. Perfect boat for our water in Hawaii. I would certainly love to hear from other Rafiki owners. Any other owners in Hawaii?
Congrats Davenus, as you already know, Rafiki-37s are wonderful boats. Unfortunately I'm no where near you, but there does seem to be more owners in the Pacific basin.
Old 10-09-2012

Rick Falconer is on a distinguished road

Hi, My name is Rick and my wife and I just recently purchased a Rafiki 37 I believe is hull # 31 and would like to chat or meet some fellow Rafiki owners.
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Falconer View Post
Hi, My name is Rick and my wife and I just recently purchased a Rafiki 37 I believe is hull # 31 and would like to chat or meet some fellow Rafiki owners.
Hi Rick, congrats on the new (old) boat. Where do you sail out of?
Old 10-10-2012

Rick Falconer is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. We sail out of Point Richmond in the SF Bay area.I guess I should sail we will be sailing out of the bay area. The boat we purchased is a fixer. The hull is sound but the rest of the boat has been badly neglected so we have some work to do before it leaves the dock. How do you like the way your boat sails and have you done any major refits or changes. We currently sail a ericson 35 but are real excited about getting in front of the tiller on the Rafiki. Hopefully by early next year.