Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road
81 Catalina 38 '''' Sparkman Stevens

That is true about the props. One question to the original poster, was I to read that that is an Atomic 4 gasoline engine?

Either way a 25HP is not really undersized, just a bit on the lower side for todays standards. But if you want to get the most "Oomph" out of your engine the prop to go with IMHO is the Autoprop. The reason is that the Autoprop is self-pitching in theory always finding the correct pitch depending on conditions and boat speed. I know of a lot of C36 owners that put the Autoprop on older C36''s that had the 25XP engine and most say they saw a noticeable increase in boat speed at all engine RPM''s. Not a cheap alternative (about $2k+) unless you might be able to find one used. But much cheaper that re-powering your boat!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2003

flyingbear is on a distinguished road

ccnightsail,

I owned C-38 #297 (1985 model) for 5 years. My wife & I lived aboard in SF Bay all that time. Our boat was a well equiped x-racer so we had the full complement of sails. The diesel was a Universal 5424 - 24 HP coupled to a Martec folding prop. I never thought the boat was under powered. In fact, motoring upwind in a chop when we were returning from the Sacremento/San Joaquin river delta, we motored away from a Tayana 42, a J-120, and kept up with a Swan 43 (we were all members of the same yacht club returning from a summer cruise). The Swan was also a S&S design. As far as sailing qualities, she rated PHRF 117 on SF Bay and I always could sail to that rating. The boat was close winded, really liked to reach, but as another poster mentioned kind of a handful dead down wind with the kite up. The my C-38 was also built well. Never broke anything the whole time we owned her. My old C-38 is on the C-38 website under pictures - Flying Bear''s haulout.

Old 04-22-2003

SKaminsky is on a distinguished road

With all due respect Denr,

Perhaps you should think before you write!

It will probably be a new experience for you.
Old 05-06-2003

conbrio36 is on a distinguished road

Have a friend with the Stevens designed boat. I have a standare Cat 36...he''s a little faster. However both he and the previous owner complained of not enough room in the galley.....and head, as compared to my 86 model 36''. He is also having a time figuring out where to put his new air conditioner. Just some thoughts.
Old 05-06-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. "a little faster"?

I have a Cat 36 (and I love the boat), but I think in the Cat 38 would probably sail circles around me. I think the Cat 36 is rated about 146 and someone here said the Cat 38 is rated 117 on San Fran Bay. But I bet my Cat 36 is much easier to single hand. I have had no problem even in heavier weather, and I have talked to many other Cat 36 owners that say the same thing. I guess for my short-handed type sailing the Cat 36 is best for me (not to mention the room and set-up down below), but the Cat 38 is a pretty boat.
Old 05-13-2003

CAlbertson is on a distinguished road

The C38 (not the newer C380) was designed by S&S for Catalina. Catalina built a one design fleet of these boats for the Govenor''s cup race in Long Beach, CA and they also offered the C38 for sale to the public. They only built a couple hundred of these.

The boat was intended to be a true racer/cruiser. I own a Catalina C36 and know for a fact the C38 will leave me over the horizon in any kind of race. Here in So. Cal. there is still and active racing fleat of C38s.

Today if you want a "performance cruiser" at budget price anold C38 might be it. As built they lack all the neat features and equipment of today''s boats but water makers, chart plotters and refridgeration can be added by the new owner.

One good thing about the C38 vs. other Catalinas is that the C38 will likely have been raced and will come with a good sail inventory and a set of spinnackers. While most other Catalinas will come with only a roller furler headsail and a main.

I would expect the C38 to motor at about 6 knots.

But if you want to motor up and down a channel why are you looking at a sailboat? Get something with twin diesels.
Old 05-14-2003

phunter is on a distinguished road

I looked at one a few years back and felt the headroom was adequate for me at 5''8" but how well did you fit?
Old 11-27-2004

doncx is on a distinguished road

Your forum thread is a year and a half old, but I''m moved to contribute in any case. I hope you bought the Cat 38!

I''ve sailed a Catalina 38 for several years (hull #357, built in 1988). She''s a spectacular boat, indeed designed by S&S, and many truths about the design were discussed in the thread.

She loves to go to windward, and is in fact a bit ''squirelly'' off-wind. She was under-powered when we had a two-blade prop, but goes well with a new three-bladed prop, easily making 6 knots. Just the same, going through the CC canal against the current wouldn''t be my preference.

If you''re near Rhode Island, and own the Catalina, reply and perhaps we can compare notes further.

- Don
Old 12-03-2004

paulmcquillan is on a distinguished road

The S&S Catalina 38 was used as the match boats in the invitation-only Long Beach Congressional Cup.
Old 12-04-2004
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

ccnightsail,

I''d suggest you contact a C-38 owner with the Atomic 4 engine and ask what the cruising speed is. Get on the most relevant email group and you can probably find one.

As to passing the CC canal, don''t base your boat decision on that concern! You should time any transist to go with the current anyway - if you do, you can pass throught he canal quite quickly even if your motor is off... As long as you can cruise 5 MPH the engine is adequate.

What you need to worry about is the costs you may face with your first, larger boat. You are jumping into a much bigger hole-in-the-water than your 22. Get a survey from a top-notch, premium price, name surveyor. Search Sailnet for other messages on this subject.

For a boat of this age, at these low dollars ($44k is cheap - a very big RED FLAG!), you could end up taking a real financial bath. Think of the purchase price as more of a downpayment than the full cost of the boat. Simple expenses such as a new exaust and FW cooling system would be more than the full cost of your ODay. If the boat isn''t being sold with a full suite of recent upgrades (rigging, sails, motor, wiring, electronics, cushions, the list is long) then they may fall on your watch.

I personally have always liked the looks of a C-38 and consider the Atomic 4 an Ok power solution, so I''d encourage to to consider this model - as to any particular boat, proceed only with the advice of a expert surveyor (and engine surveyor also), as it will be the best $800 bucks you spend on your boat.

Good luck