Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010

Sailboat101 is on a distinguished road
Hi Bill,

This is very helpful! Thank you very much! Have you had any sort or problems with the swing Keel or the Retraction components? I have heard horror stories about stuff getting stuck on the pull cable and not being able to put the boat on a trailer and then having to lift it out of the water and clean / repair the cable pull tube etc etc etc. In the 10 years you owned yours did you ever have any such issues with the swing keel.

Are you saying you feel more comfortable sailing the Atlantic on cat 22 instead of sailing the Gulf of Mexico? I am going to sail from Houston / Galveston area. I am guessing ICW means In Calm Waters.

What is the smallest boat you feel you would take to the Caribbean?

Thank you in advance for all of your guidance

Sailboat Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
The Catalina 22 is a wonderful boat and, I believe, the most popular one-design ever, with something like 17,000+ built. I had one for 10 years which I kept near my home, just to keep me from going crazy when I couldn't get to my big boat in the Caribbean.

That said, I think you'll find the swing keel is best if you're going to trailer the boat. Much easier to deal with than the fixed or wing keel. And, it has excellent performance, better than the fixed or wing keel when going downwind because you can retract or partially retract the swing keel.

You said you plan to cruise the Caribbean. I hope you're not thinking that the Catalina 22 is a suitable offshore boat. It's not. It's a great boat for day sailing and the occasional overnite in protected waters, and even for open waters in good weather, but a long-distance cruiser it is NOT. I wouldn't hesitate to take on on the Atlantic ICW, though.

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
"ICW" means "Intracoastal Waterway." Along most of the coast of the US there are protected waterways (you might think of them as similar to canals). When taking a boat from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida, for example, you might sail it in the Atlantic Ocean in calm weather, and then, when the weather gets boisterous, take it into the ICW, where it will be more protected from high winds and big waves. Sometimes you can sail on the ICW, but often, it is so narrow that you have to motor.

I also had a Catalina 22 at one time, and it is a wonderful small boat to get one started racing or cruising, but it is designed and intended for use on an inland lake, or in a protected bay, or in calm, coastal waters, and never far offshore or away from a protective entrance to the ICW.
Old 04-22-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Newbie,

No, no real issues with the swing keel. At one point in 2001, I dropped it to check on the bearing. Because I'm a paranoid type guy, I replaced the big bearing pin, and also put some spacers in to reduce lateral movement. Easy.

Even have some parts left for anyone with a Catalina 22 who wants them: 2 heavy bronze pivots (new), 1 used but good pivot pin, and 2 new disc zincs.

Best thing about the Cat22 is the incredible backup system. You can buy any part for that design, including teak trim, from the Cat 22 Owners Association in CA.

Bill
Old 04-22-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Catalina 22 is slow compared to say a J22.

Regarding speed downwind with keel up: I think that usually is not allowed in class races.

Problem with fin keel: deep draft
Problem with wing keel: can't heel boat to get ungrounded... and it looks funny.
Problems with swing keel: Weeds, lines, etc do get caught in the cable. Usually you can back the boat up a few feet and they fall off. O/W dive under with a knife. The deckstep holding the keel winch broke on my C22.

I see people trailer launching boats with 4-5' of draft. Possible with a really long ramp (underwater) and a long trailer tongue (or even a rope extension).
It takes me at least 2 hours to get the boat ready to launch. Thus, the advantage of a mooring or slip.
Old 04-22-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I had a swing keel Jaguar 22 in the UK and it was much the same boat if not identical to the Cat 22.

I now cruise the Caribbean on a bigger boat and will confirm that a lightweight swing keel boat is not suitable for the Caribbean esp the the Thorny path south.

A Cat22/Jaguar22 is a lot of fun to sail and would be good in the Bahamas once you got it there but getting across to Bimini or the Abacos would be a challenge. You could wait months for the right conditions.
Old 04-22-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
FYI, The Jaguar boats in Europe ARE catalina designs built by a company if Denmark?!?!?!? IIRC. So yes, they should be the same, or very close, ie some parts may be more common in Europe vs here, ala maybe harken tackle vs the company Catalina uses here in the states.

A true CB rig is easier to launch than a partial keel/CB, a shoal fin or a deep fin. Even with a tongue extension on the latter, My step dad and I could get our old 21' CB boat setup in about an hour and launched. But it was MUCH nicer keeping on a buoy in front of a neighbors property that had waterfront on lk Washington.

Marty