Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
the broker is trying to sell the boat...read the older responses, this boat ought to scream...all that broker stuff is crap.

The builder will have NO interest in "fixing" this, someone else chose to fix it, when it should have been scrapped. The builder only offers a one year warranty to start with, why would they volunteer to fix someone else's screwup.

Just be glad that previous lookers have uncovered this problem, and it is a problem, defective repair or some such.

Run away from this broker and this boat, neither are honest about this boat. Talk to Performance Cruising or test sail one of their new boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2010

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
PPS

Thanks for the polars chuckles.
My pleasure.

Hope you have as much fun living up to them as I do. It's not easy, but it is possible.
Old 06-08-2010

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Rusty,
If you are in Brisbane, save your travel dollars for a closer Gem and take it out for a sail.
Less buoyancy because of fresh water causing a speed reduction? BS.
Ask for a measurement from water to top of deck at the center most stanchion, starboard side and PM it to me. I'll take mine the same place today.
I'm cruise loaded as heavy as I get, half load on water and fuel right now. I'm showing 3 inches of original black bottom paint above the water amidships, less aft because of my dinghy, and full lockers aft (extra batteries on port side yada yada). My stbd cabin is remodeled as a pantry with 200 lb plus of pots, pans, soda's, and food. Port cabin is general storage, 200 lb plus of chairs, tables, grill, and various stuff. I carry a lot of extra back aft; I'd balance it out but prefer the bow to be light so I don't bury it in a power boat wake.

I'll repeat, flat water, no wind, 7.2 knots at full RPM - did that just last weekend. 2800 rpm; 6.0 to 6.2 knots depending on wave and wake.
Not 5.5

I'm not trying to kill the sale of this Gem, it's probably still a sound boat. My thought is the hulls got out of alignment when it capsized and that is slowing it down, or - having given it a lot of thought:

Gemini's aren't exactly built to high standards. There is a lot on non-encapsulated, non-sealed wood used in the construction. A capsize would have soaked it - it might be wet and heavy. It's been years, it might have twisted when drying. Other than weighing the boat when empty I don't know how to check that - and weight can vary. PCI says either 8,600 or 9,600 depending on who you ask.

It's a lot of might. I'm not a surveyor.

If you want to reach me, best way in on Anything Sailing Forum
Old 06-08-2010

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Rusty, I'm guessing you're in Brisbane, Australia and not Brisbane, CA. In any event, in either location, this is a Gemini too far. The transportation costs would be very high.
Old 06-08-2010

stuartbell is on a distinguished road
Achieve Boat Speed

My Gem will not achieve full boat speed with the boards down. Raise the boards and see how you do.

How are you measuring boat speed? The speed log is a worthless instrument for measuring speed, it only is useful for attracting grass and growth. If you are using the GPS, you must average the speed in both directions to achieve a true reading.

/Stu
Old 06-19-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
While I would dearly love to find out what is going on with this particular Gemini.....I would have to add my vote to haul butt to some other Gemini without any mysteries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2010

FunInTheSun is on a distinguished road
We were planning to head up to check this boat out. It is only four hours from us and I was excited to find a freshwater boat. I'm glad we found this post to hear the true story about the boat. The broker told me that it was caught in high winds on the lake and a few shrouds were damaged, he also said that the hull had a small gouge from hauling the boat out. Not that it was completely capsized and had a hole in the hull. The broker is a liar. Like everyone else said steer clear. I guess it is back to the boat search for us.
Old 07-06-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
If the yacht was flipped and had hull damage, I wonder if the bridge deck might also have ben torqued up. If the hulls are out of alignment, the boat will move through the water something akin to the way a vehicle with a bent frame "sidewinds" down the road. It wouldn't take much misalignment to induce extraordinary drag between the hulls--ergo, reduced speed capability.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-06-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunInTheSun View Post
We were planning to head up to check this boat out. It is only four hours from us and I was excited to find a freshwater boat. I'm glad we found this post to hear the true story about the boat. The broker told me that it was caught in high winds on the lake and a few shrouds were damaged, he also said that the hull had a small gouge from hauling the boat out. Not that it was completely capsized and had a hole in the hull. The broker is a liar. Like everyone else said steer clear. I guess it is back to the boat search for us.
I'm 40 hours away.
Old 07-07-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
is this boat on lake ray roberts? if it is it is on my dock. pm me if you have questions and ill share with you what i know.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture