SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Seeking surveyor in Portland ME

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  radly53 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone,

Great forum. By way of introduction, I'm a married woman in my forties--grew up sailing on family boats on the Gulf of Mexico and Chesapeake Bay and am making the big leap to all that comes with personal boat ownership. I'm in the market for a roughly 30 foot liveaboard in the Portland area, where I'm starting a new job this summer. I'll be living aboard for the summer only--my husband and pets will be arriving in the fall, at which point I return to land. We live in NC now and are heading up to assess some likely prospects in early May. Any recommendations for a good surveyor? Thanks!

Valerie

#5 ·
Many thanks, guys. Four out of eight of my prospects have been eliminated at first contact--2 with meaningful water damage to the hull, found only at recent inspections. Really brings home the point about using a moisture meter before calling in the surveyor. I'm expanding my search area to include NH/MA--we'll see.

#6 ·
What do you mean they have water damage to the hull??? You do know that bottom paint, among other things, can cause the hull to read as wet, when it isn't, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.