Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8 View Post
... How should I go about narrowing down the selection before wasting a plane ticket, any suggestions?...
Find a local boat broker that can gain your confidence, see af ew boats with him/her so they get an idea of what you like/dislike, then let them do th esearching for you. If you find you go to look at two boats that aren;t real close to what you want, move onto another broker.

A good broker is a lot less likely to wastee your time and his, kicking flat tires. They know the questions to ask, and can often get another broker to be frank with them when a buyer wont.
Old 05-01-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
No, buying a boat is not remotely smart.
But it is a wicked amount of fun.
Ditto on sailingfool's advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
There is a thread here listing sailnet members willing to take a look-see at boats in their neighborhood to help out fellow sailnet members.

I'm on the list for example for CT area. It should not be too hard to schedule to see several boats in one visit. I've set it up for others, their are so many boats in this neighborhood.
Old 05-02-2010

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Is looking in Florida an option? A lot of boats follow their owners there in retirement, and end up filling the back lots in boat yards. Sometimes owners are willing to take a low offer just to get rid of the storage fees.

This type of boat has been neglected. You'll need to educate yourself on the difference between a sound boat that's just dirty, and a lost cause. There are some books on how to survey boats yourself, such as Don Casey's "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat". His "This Old Boat" book is also really good.

If you can do the preliminary inspection yourself, you can eliminate the junk and just hire a surveyor when a good prospect comes around.

Oh, and ditto on the advice not to buy a boat you haven't seen. I looked at one a few years ago that was advertised with a rebuilt engine. Someone had emptied a can of spray paint on the engine covering the rust, oil and dirt. That's what they advertised as a "rebuild".

Good luck,

Tim
Old 05-02-2010

crazy8 is on a distinguished road
After reading all the posts Ive decided to not buy remotely. Optimally I would buy a boat here(PR), but I was really wondering if buying with the advise of a trusted surveyor was common practice. I got the idea based on looking at the classifieds and realizing that the boats you like tend to be spread out quite a bit. It definately seems to be a good call to get educated on spotting junk from just dirty or unkempt. Thats the major crutch I have right now, but thats why Im asking questions. Thanks
Old 05-03-2010

Polypterus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanship View Post
Actually, it is standard procedure to make an offer subject to "visual inspection, survey, and seatrial." As an additional security, you could have a surveyor walkthrough the yacht in question but in your case the cost of about $10/ft would not be worth it.
My only problem with that strategy is that when I was looking at boats, I ended up eliminating most of them by my own visual inspection. Usually an offer requires earnest money. If everything is going well you should get that money back with no issues if you decide not the buy the boat. However you need to look at contracts carefully and even then contracts require court action to enforce them. Again this would probably only be an issue a tiny percentage of the time. However the more times you lay out money the more chances you have of dealing with an unscrupulous person. I figure itís better to do some probing around on how firm the price is without making a formal offer. On a couple occasions I had a sell tell me straight out the price was firm. On other occasions they basically told me what they would accept. If you look at a boat first, then if you like what you see you can still make a contingent offer based on the formal inspection. You will still probably be required to put up 10% or so earnest money, but at least you wonít be doing it as many times; hopefully only once.
Old 05-03-2010

Gramps, I took you up on your advise and bought this old boat. Ive been reading it all day and it is a good book. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-04-2010

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
remote buying

i'm in the process. it is time consuming and usually a wasted effort. learning the questions to ask doesnt mean you'll get honest answers. not to get into details but even after you agree to price/terms/conditions and fly down to inspect as part of your due diligence the very next day. to be met by the "broker/owner" of the boat and be told that he tried to call me (while i'm in the air) to tell me he'd accepted a higher offer....

i'm also a seller. i've dealt with buyers who are dreamers. have no $$ and no way of getting any $$. she's seriously for sale.

buying/selling is an interesting experience. brokers, (i've deleted this part and thought of going into a new topic as to "horror broker stories or broker bandits" and see what flies

end of rant (for now)

as to your quest to buy remote, if i can help, PM me with your details and i'll be glad to lend a hand.
best of luck in your search,
joe/ocean city
with a boat for seriously sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a boat remotely, smart or not?-img_0818.jpg  

Last edited by Bermudahigh; 05-04-2010 at 02:36 AM. Reason: delete/add text
Old 05-04-2010

One aspect of my question that hasnt been addressed is whether or not it is ok to leave it stored on the hard for half a year( or more) while I am working in another part of the country. I would like to be near it but unfortunately I work in a landlocked state, and am returning there this month. Any opinions on buying now and storing her or waiting until I am free again. My reasoning for buying sooner is that it commits me to this idea.