Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010

SirRealism is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
Sir realism- Lake Erie is shallow but anything under 6' is not a problem for most marinas. For a boat in your size range, 4-1/2 - 5ft is a reasonable draft. Short duration chop is a bit different from Lake Michigan but that's about it. Sailing destinations are way more accessible on Lake Erie. You will have fun sailing to Put in Bay.
That's good to know. I've been noticing that boats on the Great Lakes seem to be more expensive than their counterparts on the east coast. (So far, I've just been looking online, and quite a few of them are through brokerages or marinas.)

I'm curious how the cell phone coverage is on Lake Erie. Do you generally have coverage within sight of land?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2010

Phrogman is on a distinguished road
Red face Firefly

Hi sailingdog!

Just wanted to say hey to another Firefly fan.
We loved that show; and have named our 1976 Pearson 365 "Firefly" after it.
We made the name to look as close as possible as the real logo.
Anyway, just loved the quote on your site!

Firefly
Old 05-06-2010

losesightofland is on a distinguished road
I'd stay away from the "Atomic Bomb" if I were you. I've heard too many horror stories. I own a Sabre 28 that I can't praise enough. I was able to find a 1983 with a Volvo Penta that ran wonderfully until 2008 (since re-powered with a Yanmar due to corrosion on the Volvo that made certain parts impossible to maintain).

For a low price-tag and 28.5' of boat, there is a tremendous amount of space and comfort. I have slept four adults onboard comfortably for four nights. She's got a head with a 20 gal. holding tank, a two-burner alcohol stove and ample counter space in the galley, two fresh/salt water basins... everything you will find minus an oven in most 30'-35' vessels.

She is deceptively tender for looking like a bit of a tub, and very responsive. Sailing her is great time, and I think SAILING magazine once did a write-up on the Sabre 28 as the best boat to "fall in love with sailing" on.

One word of caution if you end up looking at these boats... The mast is stepped on deck, and earlier models lacked lower shrouds which resulted in significant pumping of the rig. When I purchased Eigyr, my first project was to re-tab the main bulkhead. The mast pumping had broken the bulkhead away from the hull in some places... not good. Lower shrouds were installed, and the bulkhead is strong and sturdy six years following the repair.

Good luck on the search!
Old 05-06-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
SirR,
It sounded like you are leaning towards Hammond Marina. Hammond is a very nice marina, which is located in a bad location in my opinion. It is in an industrial sector of the lake surrounded by a lot of manufacturing including a refinery. The marina itself is outstanding, but the area surrounding it has a lot to be desired. Have you ever smelled a soap factory?
I would suggest Michigan City as an alternate; it has got to be about the same distance or maybe about 15 minutes more driving. Large sand dunes and beaches surround Michigan City. It does have a power plant directly across from the marina and there is a steel mill about 3 miles away, but the scenery is much nicer than Hammond.
Another thing to add, the Southern end of the lake can get a nasty 300 plus mile fetch running. It can and does churn up that Southern Shore line like nobodies business. This is generally in the Spring and the Fall when the prevailing Northerly blow. Most of the Summer winds are South West. Than again, it's Lake Michigan, you never know what you are going to get. We have been sailing Southern Lake Michigan for many years and absolutely love it.
BTW, I have a dock neighbor that also lives in Indy and commutes to Holland, MI on a regular basis. You’re not alone. If you care to drive just a bit further, there are many more opportunities available to you. Such as New Buffalo, St Joes, and Holland; on the Michigan side and of course Chicago on the Illinois side.
As far as a boat, most of the solidly built production boats do just fine on the Great Lakes. The boats available to you are nearly endless. Solid, not too heavy, Coastal Cruiser and you will be fine.
Good luck to you and if you’re interested in getting a closer look further up the shore let me know. Holland Michigan is one on the prettiest areas on the Great Lakes and of course Eldean's Shipyard in Holland is in my opinion the finest marina anywhere on the Great Lakes. Michigan Marinas, Lake Macatawa Mi marina and boatyard - Boat Slips, Service, Winter Storage and Slip Rental - Eldean's first class marina and resort facilities, Southwestern, south west north Southeastern
We would certainly show you around if you would like to plan a visit.
Regards,
TK

>>

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-06-2010

SirRealism is on a distinguished road
TK,

Thanks for the words of wisdom and the kind offer of hospitality. I might take you up on that.

I had seen several people mention Eldeans, and it looks like quite a marina. A 4:30 drive would be a bit much... but we'll see.