Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
Before pictures of the catboat experiment

Just bought a Nowak & Williams 1976 replica of a 1776 Herrschoff( I hope that's right) catboat. Don't have much experience with monohulls, but this boat was a great deal and it's as cute as a speckled pup. I will probably need a great deal of advice, because this is only the second boat I've owned without fully battened sails since my sunfish. The gaff rig looks like fun and I love the classic lines of the boat. If any of the "old salts" out there have any tips, I am very receptive. Me and my boys are "Bringing it back" this summer. We will still be sailing the Stiletto 27 most of the time, unless this boat becomes more fun. There are pictures in the members gallery. Catboats in Kansas, awesome!
Old 05-13-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Sounds interesting, but probably 1876 or more recent as I don't think the Herreschoff design era extends back that far. Nathanael is probably the designer. Nathanael Herreshoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-13-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
There are at least two other Herreshoff designers, L. Francis being more famous. I think there are catboats designed by the next generation.
I have sailed a gaff rig, but not in a cat. There is a catboat association, probably with a website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2010

GEO42 is on a distinguished road
catboat associatin

There is a catboat web site with tons of info. The Catboat Association, Inc.
Old 05-13-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
It sounds like you bought a Herreshoff America. These catboats were designed by Halsey Herreshoff from Bristol, Rhode Island in the early 1970's and were an interpretation of the Cape Cod cats, which came into being in the late 19th century. Just for the record there were not Herreshoffs designing boats or Cape Cod cats in the 1700's.

Cape Cod Catboats were a uniquely American invention. Tradition has it that the original Catboat was built at Crosby's yard shortly after the Civil War and there is an oral tradition that Capt. Crosby died and came back in dreams to tell his widow about how to design the original catboat. According to the legend, Capt. Crosby's ghost directed his widow at every step of the way, and the yard foreman reluctantly followed her direction producing the first Cape Cod catboat. The boat was a huge success .

In any event, catboats have their own unique sailing traits requiring thier own unique set of sailing skills. They are very easy to sail in moderate conditions but can be a real handful in a breeze. They do not go upwind as well as more modern designs, but they typically go upwind a lot better than you would guess by looking at the basic design. The key is not to try to pinch. Also, you need to be careful in big gusts because, while they do have a huge amount of initial stability, they have a comparative small limit of vanishing stability angle, not all that disimilar to your Stilletto in that regard,

Good Luck,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 05-13-2010

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
Well I just hope it's as fun as it looks. Thank you for correcting my historical mistakes. Maybe after this summer, I will be able to carry on a more knowledgable conversation about catboats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.