Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010

drcam1 is on a distinguished road
oday 322 or ericson 32-200?

Looking for a comfortable boat that has the ability to put on some speed when asked. Likely wouldn't be spending more than 3 nights in a row onboard. Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
322 is a nice boat with really nice interior. it's stout boat too. don't know about the Ericson although I guess it's a narrow beam boat compared to the Odays.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Denise can attest to the Odays, I can tell you that the Ericson 32 is also a very comfortable, well thought out boat with a good cockpit, good resale and a good reputation too. We have two sets of friends with that model, both are very pleased indeed, and both spend significantly more than 3 nights in a row aboard, often 3 weeks or more without issues.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-15-2010

Thanks for the responses. It looks like either one would be a winner!
Old 05-15-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The Ericson's PHRF rating is about 15 seconds a mile faster. I also prefer the more classic lines of the Ericson.
Old 05-15-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
The Ericson's PHRF rating is about 15 seconds a mile faster. I also prefer the more classic lines of the Ericson.
I owned a 322. Its a great boat with lots of room for its size and fairly quick for its length and market niche.

It is an odd duck with its grey hull and blacked out ports though. It was way ahead of its time and so it really doesn't look completely out of place today. That said, its looks were not my favorite thing about the boat.

I would think that you could find an Ericson 35 for not much more that these boats. I tried to buy a Ericson 38 but couldn't agree on price. I think they are really nice in terms of production boats, on par with Tartans of their age.

With any of these boats condition is the most important factor. All have cored decks that are susceptable to moisture intrusion among other ills so I'd lean towards the best maintained boat.

Good luck,
Old 05-15-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Wink Oh, it depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcam1 View Post
Looking for a comfortable boat that has the ability to put on some speed when asked. Likely wouldn't be spending more than 3 nights in a row onboard. Other suggestions welcome.
You might want to post up your $ limits -- both initially and within the first two years of ownership....

Both are nice-appearing boats, but, IMHO, not a valid comparison. Is the ODay one of the many wing keel versions they sold? Shoal draft is very helpful in some locales but your pay the price in performance.
The 80's Ericson 32-200 is more of a performance design and more strongly built.

However, if sailing in protected waters, either boat could make you happy.

One caveat on the interior design, both have an aft cabin interior and aft head on opposite side, but...... a 32 footer is at the lower edge of having enough interior volume for this type of layout. Be sure to check the berth sizing, in both ends of both boats. Kick off your shoes, crawl onto the berth, and lie down beside your S.O. and understand where you will be sleeping.

Having mentioned the constraints of their interiors, either one will probably out sail the current crop of ultra-wide RV's-with-a-mast that masquerade as sailboats.

Be prepared to pay more for the Ericson, also.

Let us know what you wind up with.

Regards,
L
Old 05-16-2010

Great info! Maybe a few more details would be helpful. Would just be Dad (me) and 2 daughters (5,8) spending the night. Often have help for sailing, but would like to be able to take her out "singlehanded" since the girls aren't a lot of help (although my 8 year old can steer a straight line better than some adults). Shallow draft would be great as I am looking at marinas in the Sandusky Bay of Lake Erie, so less than 5 ft would be great. $$$ is flexible (it's all relative right?) but looking at b/w $25k and $40k.

Hope the details help. The info has been awesome so far!
Old 05-16-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I assume you are looking at these two?

1988 Ericson 32-200 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1988 O'Day 322 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The O'day is considerably cheaper, they both look like they are in similar condition, I guess for me it would be which one looks like it was cared for better, and which one has the more recent sails, electronics. The biggest factor though that would make me choose either one, is which one has dry deck core. So a survey of both would be crucial.

The Ericson is better built and the price reflects that. The O'day has the anniversary color scheme which I love, and miss about my 192 That 322 needs to be buffed, but when freshly buffed that scheme really pops.

[IMG][/IMG]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 05-16-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nothing against the O'Days, don't really know them, but overall I'd prefer the Ericson. In your case, though, the reduced draft will be a factor.

Another 'tick' in the O'Day's favour may be the deck-stepped mast - as long as the structure is sound, it makes for a drier bilge.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)