Buying a boat abroad, where to purchase, loans, insurance, oh my! - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010
Yarr!

Sailmon is on a distinguished road
Question Buying a boat abroad, where to purchase, loans, insurance, oh my!

It's been tricky finding this kind of information so i will put to to you guys. Cruising the "right way" for me takes a list of things to be in place. I've read, saved, worked, then read some more. I've steadily trained, exposed myself to sails in the US west coast, researched dozens of boats and drooled at thousands. Even worked as a bottom cleaner and also at a sailing club for a summer...just to prepare. Needless to say this is a life choice. I will own a boat within the next year and i will cruise that boat for a very long time.

That said if i can find a better deal including a couple plane tickets, then purchasing abroad may not be such a bad idea.

Now here's the question. Where in the world would you consider a "great" place to buy? This considering the current economic crisis, exchange rates, boat values, and oil disgraces. What about lenders, brokers, surveyors, escrow, and insurance?

Assume a well qualified borrower with around $20k USD to play with.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2010

anthonyinnes is on a distinguished road
boat buying choice

No contest the country to buy in is the USA.Choice,facilities and outfitting costs way superior and price competitive to anywhere else.After a couple of years searching for the right boat ( i wanted a pocket yacht under 30 feet) and scored my Pearson 30 up in Maine.As an Australian i have no national bias.If you want keel for dollar value its the USA.When i got my search down to the short list the east coast gave me a wider selection.Defender is the catalogue to get a working price for gear. With exchange rates and immigration BS anywhere else is a heavy hit you sound like you do not have to take.You may find the odd craft out there but overall choice is dramatically better stateside.hope you find her !
Old 05-16-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Mom

You don't say, (nor does your profile) where you are...but you could easily burn your budget completely by just looking, let alone moving a boat from afar...I would start in my own backyard. The good part is that you can usually day trip to at least one decent broker/boatyard or go online to this website's listings, YachtWorld, or Soundings

For quality, quantity and a ready market, you can't beat the East coast of the USA, second Gulf coast, then the west coast.

I don't think anyone includes a couple of tickets for lookers anymore, but I have heard several manufacturers will deduct the coast of a charter of one of their boats, if you buy it within a few months. For sure you can get them to throw in some lessons, whether new or used.

All the best, and keep us posted, you will not find a better group than this.
Old 05-16-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Assume a well qualified borrower with around $20k USD to play with.

Is that your budget?
Old 05-16-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I would recommend sticking to North America, Us ideally. Europe is more expensive by far. And there will be import duties if you ever land back in the US. The only places I would imagine a lower price market would be the Caribbean or Mexico - someone who cruised a while and doesn't want to sail back.
Old 05-17-2010
Yarr!

Thanks guys. That helped. I am on the west coast. Oregon to be exact which give me easy access to the west coast. I am tempted to buy on the east coast but it all depends on the boat.

My budget is <$129k. 20k is the down.

Will update as it progresses. I will see you guys out there. Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
OK, I have to ask. If you are in Oregon, on the west coast, why are you tempted to buy on the east coast? Are you taking off for parts unknown and like the east as a starting point?
Old 05-18-2010
Yarr!

Thanks for your thoughts. In short, yes i am intending to take off to parts unknown. If i can find a boat plus plane tickets for less than a boat found locally...well then i may buy it. I mostly wasn't sure about holding title if there was a loan, insurance, and logistics of keeping a foreign vessel in US waters. I think i found my answer which is what i suspected...the US is the choice place to buy.
Old 05-18-2010

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Several years ago I met a couple in the Virgin Gorda who had purchased their 33' sloop in England and were sailing home to Vashon Island, WA. They cruised three months per year and flew home for the balance of the year. As I recall they had taken seven years on the English Channel, and Mediterranean and two years in the Caribbean. It seems a delightful way to cruise if you have the resources. The notion of sailing home is very appealing.

If you are interested in a particular boat that isn't available in the US, purchase abroad may be your only alternative. For example, if you wanted a Hanse 34 with tiller steering you won't find one in the US but they're available in Europe and Australia. Reading English boating magazines will introduce you to a broad array of boats that aren't available stateside.

If you've identified cruising ground where you'd like to cruise long-term basis, it may make sense to buy a boat there. For example, if you wanted to cruise the Lesser Antilles it may make sense to buy a boat in Grenada. I believe a sensible option would be to launch in the autumn after the hurricane season, cruise north to Guadeloupe or Antigua, and return to Grenada to have the boat hauled before hurricane season.

Twenty years ago I also met some guys in Tortola who bought clapped out charter boats in the BVI and sailed to them home to Louisiana to part them out. They claimed to make a living at it and that was pre-Ebay.