Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2003

Ace028 is on a distinguished road
Buying first boat - what''''s it worth

Hi, all...
I''m new to sailing, and I am looking for a good beginner''s boat that''s usable for daysailing and short overnighters on Lake Michigan. I found for sale a 1975 Luger Southwind 21 with the following equipment/conditions - New mainsail, older jib and genoa, single-axle trailer with extendable tongue, compass, radio,older but working 15hp long-shaft evinrude. Boat is solid as far as I can tell, with no immediate indications of blistering or bad repairs. It is a little neglected, with the teak trim topside weathered to gray and a very sorry looking, delaminated rudder. Also, the interior is entirely gutted right down to the fiberglass, with no carpet, cushions, or porta-potty. I couldn''t tell if the wiring was still in place. Anyway, they are asking $2,000 or best, and the boat has been sitting in their yard for sale for more than 9 months. Not sailed since 1999. Is that a fair price? Is the make/model of reasonable quality? Is it a decent boat for a new sailor? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Lugers were kit boats. Most of the smaller ones that I have seen were pretty poorly finished. The workmanship from the factory was OK, not great but not terrible either. The problem was that these boats were heavily dependent on the skills of the amatuer builders who finished them. Given the higher quality kits that were out there at the time, Lugers were typically bought by new sailors who often really did not know what was considered a proper job of things.

When you say this boat is gutted that means that the structural bulkheads are possibly missing. While there is a lot of stuff with this boat, it is still a big project and as such the boat has little value, especially when you can usually find better boats in nice shape for the same $2,000 or so asking price.

Jeff
Old 03-16-2003

JWag is on a distinguished road

Ace:

I went to traderonline.com and did a search for sailboats in the Great Lakes area for under $3000 and found many boats, including some nice sounding Catalina 22''s and Oday 20''s, that I would look at before considering the Luger. Jeff H. is right, the Luger was a kit boat which I would not want to own second hand (or third, fourth, etc.). Check out the Trader website and I''m sure you''ll find a nice name brand boat in your price and size range. Good luck.

Jeff Wagner
Echappe''
Jeanneau Voyage 12.50
Charlevoix, MI
Old 03-18-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

I am a long time Lake Michigan sailor. I vote w/Jeff. Avoid the Luger. i would also avoid the O''Day 20. It is fine for an inland lake, but Lake Michigan can kick up very fast and you do want to have a little more boat than that, unless you are day sailing, picking your weather, and staying close to the harbor. then, almost anything can work. The Catalina 22 or O''Day 22 are better choices. If you can stretch a thousand or two more you can probably get into a 25 and that will open up a lot more cruising possiblitlies. There are a lot of old 25''s available around the Lake. Catalina, O''Day, Cal, Coronado are all boats that many people have cruised the lake on. it is worth getting a 25 surveyed for a couple of hundered dollars.
Old 03-21-2003

Ace028 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your input... I think I''ll definitely pass on the Luger.

I think my next stop will be to go up to the St. Joseph municipal harbor yards this weekend and chack out who''s selling their 22 thru 25 footers ...

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, ACE028, Pirate of Pine Island says offer $200.00 and work on it yorself till you can use it then sail the hell out of it. You''ll learn more and understand the limitations and your own personal preferences faster and with more confidence.Stop thinking and start doing. Pirate of Pine Island
Old 03-25-2003

kickinback is on a distinguished road

definitely pass, as a new sailor you won''t want to spend all of your time on dry dock trying to fix her for next season...go with something with a little less maintenance. This will ensure more time sailing than not.