Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
No Survey - No Deal!

I would like your opinions on the following situation;

A broker has shown me a boat that I am interested in. The boat needs a bottom job, and has minimal equipment, and 26 year old standing rigging. It does have a new motor, and cushions (that I don't particularly like). The asking price is in the middle of asking prices for similar boats.

I placed an offer on a boat @ 80% of asking price, justifying my bid by pointing out the need for standing rigging, and the bottom job. the seller countered at 90% of asking price, with the stipulation that the sale is NOT subject to renegotiation if any issues are found by a professional surveyor. I upped my offer to 83% of asking price, and again stating that 26 year old rigging on a salt water boat is not acceptable. The broker says that the seller will not budge, and that the rigging is fine.

I told him that I appreciated his effort, but that I cannot accept the seller's terms.

He replied (in email); "Let's be frank, his offer to you ... is a screaming deal, and I can't understand why you are not happy and excited about it."

Does anyone here think I'm being unreasonable?

Please - let me have it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I wouldn't do it. "Screaming deal" or not - that stipulation is ridiculous....if not suspicious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-31-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
I'm with Smacky on "suspicious." Its a buyer's market right now so you can afford to walk away ... er, run? ... What's the seller hiding???
Old 05-31-2010
Learning the HARD way...

Thanks Smack! and Eryka!! Wow - you are FAST!

Oh, I made a mistake in my math. My initial offer was at 78%, not 80%, of asking.
Old 05-31-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
survey as usual with your ability to walk at any time during YOUR survey, and still get your deposit back..

I passed on a Gemini two years ago, with the same condition - as is, where is, no survey and no haulout. The owner "said" everything was fine..No regrets.

Survey or walk, no - run...regardless of how the broker presents it, and BTW the broker should know better....if it is such a "screaming deal" why doesn't the broker buy it and then let you survey it and pass title if your surveyor passes it....I doubt your broker is THAT certain...
Old 05-31-2010
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
The owner "said" everything was fine..
Yes, the broker has said much the same thing.

Here, in fact, is how he communicated the no survey clause; "All the gear worked at the end of last year and you can have it surveyed, but the seller is not offerring any warranty. It is up to the buyer or his agents to determine condition."

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-31-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
When we bought Raven the offer finally accepted by the seller was subject to survey but with the agreement that faults under a certain dollar value (from memory $1000) did not count.

That gave us an out if surveyer found a major structural fault in hull, engine or rigging but did not allow us to bail over a few quibbling details.

If your seller will not agree to those terms then it is pretty obvious they are trying to hide a serious fault.
L124C likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-31-2010

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
If I read the orginal post correctly the seller is stating that he will not renegotiate regardless of what the survey says. Basiclly he appears to be unwilling to except less than x$ period full stop. Nothing wrong with that.
With that said no way would I put a deposit down on any boat without a survey,particullary in this situation.

To a certain extent I could argue that the seller is doing you a favour, you now know up front what his bottom line price is, If you feel that a survey might show needed work and therefore needed $'s perhaps it is time to walk before you spend the dollars on a survey. Which would be wasted money if the selling price can not be adjusted according to the report.

Am I reading the orginal post incorrectly?

John
abudoggie likes this.

Last edited by johnnyandjebus; 05-31-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2010
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
If I read teh orginal post correctly the seller is stating that he will not renegotiate regardless of what the survey says. Basiclly he appears to be unwilling to except less than x$ period full stop.
That is correct

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that.
With that said no way would I put a deposit down on any boat without a survey,particullary in this situation.
This strikes ME as unusual. I have never purchased a boat before, but I have worked with several brokers. My understanding of the process is:
  1. See boat
  2. Place offer to buy with 10% deposit
  3. Have boat surveyed
  4. If issues found, renegotiate or cancel transaction
  5. If no/minor issues, close sale
Much like buying a house

Quote:
To a certain extent I could argue that the seller is doing you a favour, you now know up front what his bottom line price is, If you feel that a survey might show needed work and therefore needed $'s perhaps it is time to walk before you spend the dollars on survey. Which would be wasted money if the selling price can not be adjusted according to the report.
I agree - no survey will be necessary on this boat.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-31-2010
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
The seller is doing you a favor. They are telling you they are not going any lower. If you think the boat is worth what you offered, proceed with a survey. If the survey reveals additional defects you will then cancel the contract and get your deposit back. If the survey tells you the boat is in the condition you think it's in, the you will continue with the purchase.

If you are planning on getting the survey and then using what ever is found as ammunition to make a lower bid, the seller is telling you "Don't bother".

But really, the seller is just upset about selling the boat and upset at the price he's going to get for his boat. You just pushed his buttons.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.