Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
Question First offer

As a newbie looking for a boat I would still like advice on $$ amount of 1st offer. See boat I like, but where to offer.

Is there anywhere to go to show what used boats actually sold for? I would like to make a reasonable offer based on something other than the asking price.

I appreciate all the tips on survey, sea trial, and bargaining. Just need that first offer amount that doesnt insult owner.

Thanks

Nervous newbie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Nothing like doing your own research on this and ignore the sellers asking price which may be totally unrealistic.

What work is needed to make it seaworthy is a critical factor. If the rigging is 12 years old and the sails are baggy then you need to find the replacement cost and deduct that from the "market" value.

There is a site called soldboats.com that does give prices that boats change hands at but it is only supposed to be availiable to brokers and surveyors.

If you are looking at a 5 year old Bene 50 it will be pretty close but a 30 year old low production boat might not be so good.

Finally never be afraid of insulting a seller! There are lots of boats changing hands at less than 50% of the price the seller first put on the boat.
Old 07-02-2010

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
A boat that I looked at 5 years ago for $125,000, is still on the market at $79,000 now and I think that it is still too high priced.
Best advice is look at a lot of boats , go 20-30% higher & lower than your price range to get an idea what a couple dollars more will get you and what some worn out equipment does to the price(or should do to the price).
Old 07-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, it is currently a buyer's market, and there are a lot of people under pressure to sell quickly...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2010

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Tough to be patient when you see something you like. And when you don't know what you are doing, it becomes scary.

b
Old 07-02-2010
el tombo

eltombo is on a distinguished road
go to Sailin Texas.com, they have a long list of boat for sale and sold so you can compare prices. It's a great site to buy or sell a boat on!!
Old 07-02-2010
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcaudle View Post
Just need that first offer amount that doesnt insult owner.
I had the same concern when I went to buy my boat last year. I didn't want to insult the owner and have them walk away angry and never speak to me again. My desire to get the best deal won out, I offered half the asking, and they accepted the next day.

Of course then I discovered all the reasons why somebody would sell a boat so cheaply... man it's a lot of work and money fixing up an old boat.

In any case, my advice is, if you don't think you're insulting the owner, then your offer is too high. Insult away! It's a buyer's market.
Old 07-02-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
if the oil is not cleaned up soon...many boaters on the Gulf Coast will be getting their clock cleaned for boats they cant use...Dont be surprized if they sell some for pennies on the dollar rather than pay marina fee's on boats you can't use...
Old 07-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
good point Insails, heck even if they can use 'em, they may not wanna use 'em if all the natural beauty is just a murky deadzone puddle of crap

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-02-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
You have to decide what your objective is.

If you want making offers to be a game, offer low and see who you can upset, it's free fun.

If you want to own a boat that will please you for years (and not break you with unexpected repairs)..learn how to figure out what a boat is worth, look only at boats selling at above average price. When you see a good boat (not to be confused with an apparent "good deal") make a reasonable offer and get yourself a boat that will make you happy.

Boats values vary enormousely due to conmdition and equipment. You need to learn how to identify and value condition and equipment or you are shooting in the dark.

Find a model or two that would fit your wants. Look at as many as you can. Ask the brokers a lot of questions about value. Make a spreadhseet where you attempt to adjust asking prices for the value of condition and equipment. This will eventually allow you to determine the value of the boat that you want to own.

Absolutely do not consider a "steal" or even "good deals". Search this site for MaineSail's comments on buying a premium boat.

If you focus on getting a "good boat", you just might.

If you focus of getting a "good deal", you are likely to get a learning experience.

Last edited by sailingfool; 07-02-2010 at 11:51 AM.